WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: "burn" to usb  (Read 5111 times)

Offline Captain.Midnight

"burn" to usb
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »
My head is spinning trying to figure out how to install Corepure64, or any flavor tc for that matter, to a usb flash drive. There's one tidbit here, a bunch of meaningless (to me) bafflegab there, and a whole bunch of cryptic stuff everywhere. Its like trying to put a 3-D jigsaw puzzle together while blindfolded and wearing boxing gloves.

I know you mean well, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to help, but what would really have the masses praising your name for a thousand generations would be if one of you uber-guru types could put together a comprehensive yet easy to understand step-by-step guide.

Yes. it would be time consuming on your part, but would that not be better in the long run to have that guide to point to, freeing up some time for you to delve into more challenging issues. Yes, I do realize that this is one of those "When you're up to your ass in alligators" situations but I know from personal experience that you never really know just how much you know until you try and teach it to someone else, and most people offering to help are trying to achieve a greater understanding themselves.

I would really hate to give up on this as I really like the whole concept here, but this is just getting to be too bloody frustrating. (Please forgive me, but I'm also trying to figure out zsh completions as well as writing scripts to recode my multimedia files while replacing a lot of videos that disappeared due to hdd failure.)

Online patrikg

• Wiki Author
Re: "burn" to usb
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:06:50 PM »
Hello Captain Midnight.

You are so positive to all this.
Thank you bringing this positiveness to this forum.
Have you searched in this forum to get any answer to your questions.

I think you could apply my approach to do like me,,, how to install tc on the usb flash drive.
I'ts not the easy way... but it works.

Take a look at it.
Here it is:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,20135.msg125292.html#msg125292   

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
Hi

Try using or installing and using the " tc-install " extension from the CorePlus.ISO

Find more useful information from The Core Book which can be downloaded from here
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

Chapter 2
Note: it's important to know the "Target" eg: the ID as seen by Linux (typically on a system with one HDD, one CD drive and a USB thumb drive plugged in;  sda for the first Hard Disk, sdb for the first USB drive, sr0 for the first cd BTW) understanding this before you begin is strongly recommended.
While installing the recommended install type is Frugal, choose:

For a USB thumb drive and tc x86:
  • USB-HDD
  • Whole Disk
  • ext2
  • Bootcodes you'll likely need are:  waitusb=5 tce=sdb1 (substitute sdb1 for your specific setup)
  • Core and X/Gui

When finished, remove the CD you installed from and reboot to the USB from your BIOS boot menu

Good luck
:)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:50:48 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline NewUser

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:50:43 PM »
Or, if you use Windows, use core2usb to write the iso to a thumbdrive.

Offline polikuo

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »
For corepure64, there is a extension named tc-install64 if you do not need X.
tc-install64-GUI is much friendlier and the tutorial can be found here
http://tinycorelinux.net/install.html

To install these extensions, do
Code: [Select]
tce-load -wil tc-install64
tce-load -wil tc-install64-GUI

FYI http://tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86_64/tcz/tc-install64-GUI.tcz.info

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 12:15:37 AM »
Well I think we might be jumping the gun here, but as you can see there are many easy options, easy if you're able to find your way around a linux PC.    Just know that once you have TC-7 x86 installed it's also easy to install TC-7's main x86_64 counterparts alongside the x86 install and run a dual boot system.  It's also possible to install corepure64 on the same USB next to the tinycore x86 and core64 installations. Note that corepure64 requires a dedicated tce extension store for it's tcz extensions, so make sure you have a big enough USB thumb drive, in my experience an 8GB thumb drive is sufficient for a DualBoot scenario though larger is better :)

So many possibilities, I suggest start with an easy option then upgrade when you're comfortable