WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Suggestions for X/GUI window manager for an Apple MacBook Pro?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Rudock1

Suggestions for X/GUI window manager for an Apple MacBook Pro?
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:16:14 AM »
Hi Tiny Core forum all,

I'm struggling to find an X/GUI window manager for my Apple MacBook Pro (Mid 2010, i7, Intel HD).

Quick background: I have a bootable USB flash drive FAT32, using rEFId, TC6.0 (3.16.6), Xorg, desktop=xfwm4, Mac touchpad doesn't work, but it DOES boot X/GUI on my Apple MacBook Pro.  So we know it can get there!

Today's issue: I have updated the USB flash drive to TC7.0 (4.2.9), Xorg, desktop=flwm (xfwm4 didn't work and is pretty useless anyway).  The thumb drive boots beautifully to x86 PC-compatibles (bios and UEFI, Dell etc).  But on the MacBook, after it loads the OS and extensions, it hangs hard with a frozen cursor in the upper LH corner.  Nothing to do but power button it off.  I've tried several window managers, to no avail. I CAN boot the Mac to the plain vanilla command line no problem with this set up, but starting X is failing.

Suggestions?  Do you have a known working X/GUI window manager for your Mac?  Other tweaks or tricks?  I appreciate your time to consider these questions.

I reviewed:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,20606.0.html
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,20605.0.html
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,20135.0.html

thx
Billy

Offline Misalf

Re: Suggestions for X/GUI window manager for an Apple MacBook Pro?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »
I don't think it's related to the WM.
Is the message "failed in waitforX" printed after attempting to  startx ?
Are you using Xvesa or Xorg?
Xvesa may not work on your hardware.
Xorg usually needs a driver, probably  xf86-video-intel.tcz  in your case, and possibly a proper  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:33:22 AM »
BTW, I like Openbox. ;)
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 07:50:00 AM »
Do you have a known working X/GUI window manager for your Mac?

flwm and gnome-session work fine on my mac mini with corepure64, booted with grub-(u)efi

Are you using rEFId or grub (u)efi to boot your mac?

As mentioned above, the Xorg driver is probably the cause of your troubles.

See: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,13445.75.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:54:45 AM by Juanito »

Offline Rudock1

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »
Thanks, guys, that was fast!

To Misalf: I see the TC ascii "penguin" logo briefly, but the "failed in waitforX" is NOT printed after attempting to startx. It freezes either before or after that message.  (Although I've fought with that message before during other routine troubleshooting). I am running Xorg 7.7 on both the TC6 desktop=xfwm4 which works on the Mac OK and the TC7 desktop=flwm which doesn't work.  I have a  xf86-video-all.tcz stub extension whose .dep file pulls in all of the xf86-video-*.tcz extensions.  I haven't delved into /etc/X11/xorg.conf before now, but I can see there is a lot of discussion about it. I am checking OpenBox now.

To Jaunito: Good to know about your WM and corepure64.  My core 64 is not the pure configuration but I will take a look at that.  I'm using rEFId v0.10.4 (which takes me to the TC7 command line no problem, and previously takes me to TC6  Xorg 7.7 desktop=xfwm4).  I will focus on the Xorg drivers more, as you suggested.  Thanks for link, lots to digest there.

Again, thanks guys!
Billy

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:38:15 AM »
If you use the bootcode "text", it will stop the system trying to start the gui.

If you make it to the console prompt, try loading the graphics-KERNEL extension, I suspect the problem might be there.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 01:44:31 PM »
I know many like OpenBox, but my preference over all the available Window managers is HackedBox because it's simple, lightweight and then there's the aesthetic consideration.   All in all I really like Hackedbox.