WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: LAMP server tcz ?  (Read 3633 times)

Offline remus

LAMP server tcz ?
« on: January 30, 2017, 07:24:32 PM »
Hi all,

Is there a stable LAMP tcz for any version of microcore in the repo's ?

Didn't see one for 7.2

Thank's.
Live long and prosper.

Offline andyj

Re: LAMP server tcz ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 07:44:21 PM »
There is for 64-bit.

Offline remus

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 07:11:35 PM »
thanks andyj,

I don't have a x64 machine :(

Looks like I may have to setup a ubuntu server for this project.
Live long and prosper.

Offline andyj

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »
64-bit processors came out in 2003. You must be nursing a seriously old box. What processor do you have? It would take me a day to recompile Apache 2.4 and PHP 7.0 and all the supporting parts for 32-bit. The scripts in the 64-bit src directory should work in 32-bit land too. I'm sorry, but I'm not particularly motivated to support a platform I don't use.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 08:22:22 PM »
Hi remus
I think you can download a self contained LAMP package from Apache. Google  xampp. You can untar and run it from  /opt.

Offline remus

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 08:32:22 PM »
Hi Rich,

I did check out xampp, looks promising, however they only list a download for x64

I guess I could download it and check the readme files just in case.
Live long and prosper.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 08:45:24 PM »
Hi remus
I know this will sound obvious, but Google  xampp 32 bit linux. You'll get some hits for sourceforge.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 10:23:40 PM »
Remus,

If you have MicroCore up and running, from the command prompt type in tce-ab and do a search for the LAMP ingredients:

Linux (lol - Micro-Covered!)
Apache2
MySQL, or search for "maria" which it's now called OR try SQLite if it'll suit your needs
PHP

You're still playing in the 7.x repo but if you cannot find something you're looking for, odds are you can find it in 6.x if you had to!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline andyj

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 03:29:41 AM »
If you have to use MySQL / MariaDB because you have an existing project then I feel sorry for you. If you are starting a new project you should consider PostgreSQL instead. It's much smaller (a third the size on TCL) and much more standard SQL compliant. I have a few decades of Oracle DBA experience, so I think I know how a database should work. I tried MariaDB for a few weeks and quickly learned that was a bad choice. I don't use it for many of the same reasons I don't use Windows. The reason I switched to 64-bit is so that the database server can use more than 4 GB of RAM. Of course if you don't have that much memory then it doesn't matter, but if you ever want to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit later the data structures are different so it would be a migration effort. Just some things to keep in mind.

Offline remus

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 07:14:17 PM »
If you have to use MySQL / MariaDB because you have an existing project then I feel sorry for you. If you are starting a new project you should consider PostgreSQL instead. It's much smaller (a third the size on TCL) and much more standard SQL compliant. I have a few decades of Oracle DBA experience, so I think I know how a database should work. I tried MariaDB for a few weeks and quickly learned that was a bad choice. I don't use it for many of the same reasons I don't use Windows. The reason I switched to 64-bit is so that the database server can use more than 4 GB of RAM. Of course if you don't have that much memory then it doesn't matter, but if you ever want to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit later the data structures are different so it would be a migration effort. Just some things to keep in mind.

Thanks for the input andyj

Considering what you've said I'll look into PostgreSQL.

I'm starting from scratch, I have no previous experience managing an Apache server, or mysql or coding in PHP. I did do some Access DB, ASP, html, css, javascript from 2000 to 2004. So I have some idea of what's involved. I think I have to try and re-learn some old skills, and apply them to a different language and environment.

I've been given the task of creating a clock in/out app for volunteer, and work for the dole participants at our non profit community centre. The app has to record the time and take the persons picture as they clock in and out. The current idea is to run this from a web browser, on a tablet mounted to the wall, and the browser will store activity in a database.

I have no idea how I'm going to do this, but will start out with a simple form and database table and work my way up from there. Adding features along the way as I learn.
Live long and prosper.

Offline remus

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »
Remus,

If you have MicroCore up and running, from the command prompt type in tce-ab and do a search for the LAMP ingredients:

Linux (lol - Micro-Covered!)
Apache2
MySQL, or search for "maria" which it's now called OR try SQLite if it'll suit your needs
PHP

You're still playing in the 7.x repo but if you cannot find something you're looking for, odds are you can find it in 6.x if you had to!

This is a pretty good idea.

I'm in a virtualbox with mc6 right now having a look at the software via tce-ab.
Live long and prosper.