WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: CONFIG_REGPARM Question  (Read 1400 times)

Offline coreplayer2

CONFIG_REGPARM Question
« on: December 27, 2016, 09:33:26 PM »
Anyone shed some light on this please?

There is a KERNEL CONFIG option "CONFIG_REGPARM=Y/N  that some software build scripts check for, OSS for example.  I have noticed that neither TC-7.2 x86 or x86_64 KERNEL CONFIG's use this option, in fact it doesn't even exist in the config files.

This option appears to be valid only for x86 kernels, from what I can tell x86_64 KERNELS don't use the option (calls go elsewhere..)

So is it only used in 32bit configs? and appears only if prompted by another option which = Y
??

thanks

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: CONFIG_REGPARM Question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 02:22:18 AM »
The option was removed in 2.6.19:
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/REGPARM.html
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline coreplayer2

Re: CONFIG_REGPARM Question
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 02:48:56 AM »
Thanks curaga,

I'm considering the option might have been removed if incorporated into the kernel permanently.  Which is my conclusion after building drivers with both options.   By that I mean set of modules with support and a set without the regparm option.    kernel modules without support could not load into i486 kernel. However those built with support allowed the modules to successfully load.   Interestingly, modules created with support for this option refused to load into an x86_64 kernel.   Only those module without support would load with an x86_64 kernel   I was curious, what can I say..

:)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:52:20 AM by coreplayer2 »