Not sure when TC 8 RC set for release, hope to submit some proposed default configs within the week. Highlights and rational below. Combination of usability, simplicity, performance and cosmetic. Feedback and discussion welcome, thanks.
* Modify /etc/motd, no more subjective image, ascii 'Tiny Core Linux' centered across top, similar to link below. I proposed similar before and no change was deemed necessary. Will only spend time on this if there is interest and commitment from developers. http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/_media/dcore:dcorescreenshot:dcore_default_boot.png?cache=
* Modify /etc/.setbackground, move away from Win95 (blue backing) meets Apple (wbar) first impression, recommend:
Change background to medium grey or similar, eg. hsetroot -solid "#979797"
* Modify /etc/skel/.ashrc:
#alias d='dmenu_run &' # Delete, no dmenu since TC4 !
alias tce='cd /etc/sysconfig/tcedir' # 'ce' not intuitive
* Modify /etc/skel/.Xdefaults to:
- Not true transparency anyway (ie. tacky), reduces usability, performance hit: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9021.msg128544#msg128544
- Poor default interface, opening side by side terminals should not render unfocused terminal virtually unreadable.
- This made first learning TC much more difficult, took a while to figure out which option was the culprit.
* Modify /root/.Xdefaults to:
Aterm*transparent: false # As ./Xdefaults notes above
Aterm*title: Root Terminal # ID working in root
Aterm*cursorColor: yellow # Cautionary yellow vs 'tc' green
Aterm*fading: 100 # As ./Xdefaults notes above
* Remove following /opt/.xfiletool.lst entries, irrelevant for most installs, default should be software agnostic:
XUL.mfasl #Query outdated Firefox files
.adobe/Flash_Player/AssetCache #Impression TC developers recommend Flash
.opera/opcache #TC's Opera is seriously outdated