WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core 7.2 fglrx Ati driver HELP  (Read 2960 times)

Offline nitro_menace

Tiny Core 7.2 fglrx Ati driver HELP
« on: November 18, 2016, 06:58:53 AM »
I am currently using the xf86-video-ati.tcz driver. I would like to use the ATI propriety driver. I have ATI integrated graphics on board (Radeon HD R5E) with an AMD Embedded G-Series chipset. I am try to run a 3d application called openscene graph and need an fps boost. If any one has any other ideas please let me know.The application is constantly using 100% of the first core on my cpu and i would like to offload it onto my GPU.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:07:41 AM by nitro_menace »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Tiny Core 7.2 fglrx Ati driver HELP
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 07:41:05 AM »
AMD has abandoned the proprietary driver, focusing on newer cards; while it may work, you can't expect updates really.

That's also a very low-end card, so the fps boost you can expect from the binary driver is very small. Make sure first that you have the open driver properly running (glxinfo, etc).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nitro_menace

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 01:57:22 AM »
Hello I manged to compile an old FGLRX module and get it to run it boosted fps by about 5/10 and had aticonfig application to reduce or increase quality. It was one of the later 14.* drivers. It was easy to compile however i could not compile it into a tcz. But eventually managed to backup the system folder paths in a way it would load cortrectly on a reboot

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 06:10:16 AM »
Hi nitro_menace,
Maybe you would like to have a look at http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:creating_extensions
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline pq5190362

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:55:13 AM »
I am currently using the xf86-video-ati.tcz driver. I would like to use the ATI propriety driver. I have ATI integrated graphics on board (Radeon HD R5E) with an AMD Embedded G-Series chipset. I am try to run a 3d application called openscene graph and need an fps boost. If any one has any other ideas please let me know.The application is constantly using 100% of the first core on my cpu and i would like to offload it onto my GPU.

It might be possible that you can use the new amdgpu or amdgpu-pro driver.

radeon (xf86-video-ati) is the open source driver for older AMD GPUs. amdgpu (xf86-video-amdgpu) is the new open source driver for new AMD GPUs.

The old proprietary fglrx driver is deprecated. It's successor is amdgpu-pro. amdgpu-pro is a proprietary extension to amdgpu.

However, without enabling it in the Kernel, amdgpu by default is supposed to be run only on AMD GCN (Graphics Core Next) 1.2 GPUs.

But: When enabling it in the Kernel, amdgpu can also be used on GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.1 GPUs. The Gentoo Wiki explains how to do this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU#Kernel

Now, the question is: Is the Radeon HD R5E that you mentioned a GCN 1.0/1.1/1.2 GPU? The Gentoo Wiki explains how to check this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU#Hardware_detection

Which chipset name do you get when looking it up using lspci?