WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Caja and Samba issues  (Read 4103 times)

Offline nitram

Caja and Samba issues
« on: October 29, 2016, 03:10:57 AM »
Trying to get functional Caja with networking.

Default Caja install requires this otherwise glib launch error, so a startup script would be appreciated:
sudo /usr/local/tce.installed/libglib2.0-0

I have shared storage on router easily accessible via CLI smbclient, does not require Samba, Samba configuration or even a password, just smbclient install. Can't, however, get graphic Caja network access. Clicking Caja -> 'Network' results in 'cannot display network' error.

Already installed Caja with the -R option, installs  gvfs-backends  without success.

Also installed  caja-share  without success.

Loading Samba didn't help but don't think it should even be required.

Samba will also require a startup script to get running, probably this plus more:
sudo cp /usr/share/smb.conf /etc/samba
sudo mkdir -p /var/cache/samba/
sudo mkdir -p /var/log/samba/
sudo service nmbd start

This starts  nmbd  but can't get smbd started. Still can't access Caja network share. Don't have time to troubleshoot further ATM, will post back later if progress. Thanks.

Edit: Importing Mate desktop (mate-core) provides networking functionality, maybe missing package(s) or configuration issue, will compare later. Would like functional Caja without DE.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:15:50 AM by nitram »

Offline nitram

Re: Caja and Samba issues
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 12:41:12 PM »
Getting complicated, there are several issues here. Will try to filter exact minimum requirements in a follow-up post for startup script and added dependency recommendations. Made good progress, now get read/write access to router's network share thumbdrive via Caja -> Network.

Full Samba is not required and i hope to never use it again. Some of the suggested startup script notes in post above may help get Samba running for others but it still needs more work to run proper. I will leave this with you Jason, should you wish to get functional Samba in dCore.

To me getting Caja running better in a non-MATE environment (WM only) is more important, it's a real nice full featured file manager. Launching Caja with the following provided Network accessibility, not sure if this should be in the startup script or whether it's a dbus specific issue that needs to be addressed:
dbus-launch caja

Also standalone Caja install did not provide icons, but loading Gedit, which uses gnome-icon-theme, fixed the issue so a dependency that Gedit uses will likely need to be added to Caja.

Regarding Gedit on dCore-jessie, after fresh install it also would not launch without first running the following, probably needs startup script too please:
sudo /usr/local/tce.installed/libglib2.0-0

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »
I added the libglib commands to caja.deb2sce and gedit.deb2sce.  'dbus-launch caja' launches caja file manager and also puts icons on my Icewm desktop.  Though in my large SCE of favorite apps, mate-desktop is installed though I am not sure what pulled it in.  Don't think the dbus command should be in the startup script, perhaps as a suggestion in the ~/.X.d/ directory as a script to be run on X startup. 

Of course, when apps are being assumed dependent on certain desktop environments it does make it difficult to use as standalone with a small WM.  Thanks for your testing on this.  And I will try to get Samba working in the near future.

Offline nitram

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »
Re-imported above extensions. Tested multiple apps in minimal environment. All probably work well with MATE desktop install, below for those who wish to run these applications standalone. Deleted configs & rebooted b/w tests = lots of reboots, minimal dCore-jessie:
graphics-3.16.6-tinycore
xorg-intel
flwm

Gedit editor:
-can't change Preferences -> Fonts & Colors -> Color Scheme built-in x 7
-install  dbus-x11
-run  'dbus-launch gedit'

Caja file manager:
-missing icons and no networking
-run  'caja'  to auto-mount all partitions
-run  'dbus-launch caja'  to avoid auto-mount
-install  gvfs-backends  for built-in Network -> Browse Network functionality
-to enable missing icons. either:
   -install gnome-icon-theme
   -run 'caja'  or  'dbus-launch caja'
   or
   -install  mate-icon-theme
   -install  mate-settings-daemon
   -run  'sudo /usr/local/postinst/libglib2.0-0'
   -run  'sudo mate-settings-daemon'
   -run 'caja'  or  'dbus-launch caja'

Pluma text editor:
-unable to change built-in Preferences -> Font & Colors -> Color Scheme
-install  dbus-x11
-run  'pluma'

Atril document viewer:
-install  dbus-x11
-run  'atril'

Engrampa (File-Roller fork) archive manager:
-works well
-run  'engrampa'

eom (Eye of MATE) image viewer:
-missing icons
-load  mate-settings-daemon
-load  dbus-x11
-run  'sudo mate-settings-daemon'
-run  'dbus-launch eom'

mate-terminal:
-mate-terminal does not launch
-install  dbus-x11
-run  'mate-terminal'

Let me know if any above apps will have added deps or startup scripts, will then re-import and re-test. Otherwise will add wiki notes. Thanks.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »
Ok, here is what I did for startup scripts and deps.

gedit:
New dependency dbus-x11

caja:
New dependency gvfs-backends

mate-settings-daemon:
New startup script

pluma:
New dependency dbus-x11

atril:
New dependency dbus-x11

eom:
New dependnecies - dbus-x11 mate-settings-daemon

mate-terminal:
New dependency dbus-x11

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 03:52:04 PM »
Also, added startup scripts to samba and samba-common based on above info as well as another missing directory to be created.  Now both nmbd and smbd start successfully.  Please update and test.

Offline nitram

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 02:13:52 AM »
It all looks pretty good, including Samba. Please review wiki entries for Caja and Eye of MATE, let me know if any startup scripts are considered to get them running easier standalone, otherwise the wiki notes are good enough:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:desktop_applications#caja
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:desktop_applications#eye_of_mate

Got PCManFM browsing Samba today but haven't yet had time to reproduce with a minimal boot.

Offline nitram

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »
To enable built-in PCManFM's 'Trash Can' and Go -> Network functionality with minimal install:
-import pcmanfm
-import dbus-x11
-import gvfs-backends
-launch with 'dbus-launch pcmanfm'
-on some applicatons the dbus-launch command isn't necessary after dbux-x11 was installed as extra dependency

Jason please let me know what you include as extra dep and startup sript, i can re-import and re-test, will later modify wiki, thanks.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 05:57:29 PM »
When dbus-x11 added as a dependency to pcmanfm, the resulting SCE grows from 53MB to 56MB on dCore-yakkety.  Adding gvfs-backends brings it up to 131MB.  That is quite a bit of size addition.  I am not against adding gvfs-backends as a dep, but maybe we want to keep the gvfs-backends dependency as wiki info for those who want a small install without full featuredness of pcmanfm.  I have added dbus-x11 to deps of pcmanfm, waiting on discussion before adding gvfs-backends because of the more than 2x size increase.  If I recall, part of pcmanfm's original purpose was to be a somewhat lighweight gtk2 file manager.

Caja is a different story without gvfs-backends as a dep, or any extra deps, caja.sce is 113MB, while adding gvfs-backends as a dep brings it to 132MB.  And as caja is basically the Gnome file manager, that is no big difference in my opinion. 

Thanks for testing and finding solutions, and for the wiki info.

Offline nitram

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
Re-imported PCManFM. The dbus-x11 dependency was not even adequate to enable the built-in Trash Can. Didn't realize gvfs-backends added so much to the size. If you don't mind please remove the dbus-x11 dependency and i will forget about gvfs-backends. The wiki was already updated appropriately so anyone can get it running full functioned in a minimal environment. Guess PCManFM isn't as lean or modular as hoped, even a trivial Fluff import provides working trash! Thanks for your help, sorry for the hassle.