General TC > Tiny Core on Virtual Machines

VMware tools/Open VM tools problem (x86_64 port)

(1/5) > >>

zacchi4k:
Please note that I'm using the x86_64 port of TinyCore!!
I have some problems installing and using both VMware tools and Open VM Tools on a TinyCore virtual machine.

VMware tools:
After extracting the archive to /vmware/, I can't even start the installer.
Running vmware-install.pl (even with sudo) returns "line 6: ./vmware-install.real.pl: not found".
Running vmware-install.real.pl returns "sh: ./vmware-install.real.pl: not found".
It's like the file doesn't exist, but it's clearly there.

Open VM Tools:
I can actually download and install Open VM Tools from the Apps.... application, but only the mouse integration seems to work.
No automatic resizing and, most importantly, trying to enable shared folders (which I really need) returns an error regrading mounting the folders in the guest OS (even without any folders configured).

Can someone help me?

Screenshots:

andyj:
Read the comments for open-vm-tools in the app browser, they're important if you want it to work.

zacchi4k:

--- Quote from: andyj on October 28, 2016, 03:36:09 PM ---Read the comments for open-vm-tools in the app browser, they're important if you want it to work.

--- End quote ---

I can't find anything that could help me, not even that VMware KB link.

andyj:
Hmmm... I thought it was supposed to say this:

Comments:       Download and install in console before reboot; do not install while in X.
                Add to ~/.profile before startx to enable shared folders:
                        [ $(which vmware-checkvm) ] && [ vmware-checkvm ] && [ -d /mnt/hgfs ] && vmhgfs-fuse /mnt/hgfs
                Add to ~/.xsession after mouse-config to enable copy/paste, mouse grab/ungrab, and desktop resizing:
                        [ $(which vmware-checkvm) ] && [ vmware-checkvm ] && vmware-user &
                Move wbar to upper left vertical because wbar doesn't know when the desktop is resized.
                Aterm text does not render correctly, use lxterminal instead.
                Kernel modules removed, now all tools are userspace.
                Verify permissions for /dev/fuse are 1666.
                Loading the extension should create /mnt/hgfs. Verify that it happened and the permissions are 777.
                Files in shared folders will not be visible to anyone other than the user that
                        mounts them, including root. This is why if the shared folders are mounted
                        in a directory that is in a tree in /opt/.filetool.lst, backups will fail.
                Xorg and its dependencies are not needed for text only VM's.

zacchi4k:

--- Quote from: andyj on October 29, 2016, 06:04:12 AM ---Hmmm... I thought it was supposed to say this:

Comments:       Download and install in console before reboot; do not install while in X.
                Add to ~/.profile before startx to enable shared folders:
                        [ $(which vmware-checkvm) ] && [ vmware-checkvm ] && [ -d /mnt/hgfs ] && vmhgfs-fuse /mnt/hgfs
                Add to ~/.xsession after mouse-config to enable copy/paste, mouse grab/ungrab, and desktop resizing:
                        [ $(which vmware-checkvm) ] && [ vmware-checkvm ] && vmware-user &
                Move wbar to upper left vertical because wbar doesn't know when the desktop is resized.
                Aterm text does not render correctly, use lxterminal instead.
                Kernel modules removed, now all tools are userspace.
                Verify permissions for /dev/fuse are 1666.
                Loading the extension should create /mnt/hgfs. Verify that it happened and the permissions are 777.
                Files in shared folders will not be visible to anyone other than the user that
                        mounts them, including root. This is why if the shared folders are mounted
                        in a directory that is in a tree in /opt/.filetool.lst, backups will fail.
                Xorg and its dependencies are not needed for text only VM's.

--- End quote ---

Sorry, but I'm a total noob with Linux.
Does "-/" mean the root folder? I've tried to place the files there but it didn't work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version