WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Where can I get a file manager for TinyCore  (Read 27757 times)

zacchi4k

Where can I get a file manager for TinyCore
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:46:32 AM »
Apparently Xfe isn't there anymore.
Does someone know a way to install a file manager?
EDIT: I know about Midnight Commander, but I would like something more..... graphical.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:54:48 AM by zacchi4k »

Offline polikuo

Re: Where can I get a file manager for TinyCore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:03:42 AM »
open your app browser
Apps -> Cloud (Remote) -> Browse
click the "Search" button next to the text area where you type in your key words
select "Tags"
enter "file manager" in the text area and press Enter
you should get a list of file managers such as emelfm, nautilus, pcmanfm, spacefm ..., etc.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:19:24 AM by polikuo »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:10:05 AM »
And mc.tcz
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline nitram

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 01:32:14 PM »
You didn't specify TC version, if referring to TC7 x86 then xfe.tcz is present and accounted for:
Code: [Select]
tce-load -wi xfe

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
...and spacefm, which is my favorite :)

zacchi4k

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 07:01:30 AM »
Quote from: polikuo
open your app browser
Apps -> Cloud (Remote) -> Browse
click the "Search" button next to the text area where you type in your key words
select "Tags"
enter "file manager" in the text area and press Enter
you should get a list of file managers such as emelfm, nautilus, pcmanfm, spacefm ..., etc.
In the end I went for nautilus.

You didn't specify TC version, if referring to TC7 x86 then xfe.tcz is present and accounted for:
tce-load -wi xfe
I use the x86_64 port since I need to run x64 software on top of a lightweight Linux distro.

Quote from: coreplayer2
Sadly it doesn't work for me, both the gtk3 and gtk2 version.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:17:47 AM by zacchi4k »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 08:29:26 AM »
How do you mean id doesn't work for you please?

If you install and and run spacefm and it fails to load, then most likely the dependencies have changed.   To find the missing dep use the traditional troubleshooting step: enter spacefm from a terminal and note any missing components.

zacchi4k

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »
How do you mean id doesn't work for you please?

If you install and and run spacefm and it fails to load, then most likely the dependencies have changed.   To find the missing dep use the traditional troubleshooting step: enter spacefm from a terminal and note any missing components.

EDIT: Now it seems to work......
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:05:57 AM by zacchi4k »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 01:40:13 PM »
Appears to work fine in Xvesa and Xorg but will try to duplicate

zacchi4k

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 07:54:18 AM »
Appears to work fine in Xvesa and Xorg but will try to duplicate

Don't worry, it worked after I installed something and rebooted, although I don't recall installing anything related to drivers...
BTW I'm using a VMware VM.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 11:46:42 AM »
Some gtk themes are not compatible with tinyX, causing that error.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 04:29:48 PM »
I use the x86_64 port since I need to run x64 software on top of a lightweight Linux distro.

OK here is the issue..
Spacefm for an unknown reason could not run under Xfbdev (assuming they did at some point) when I tried today.
Xfbdev.tcz provides X for TinyCorePure64-7.2.iso

I'll need to check why neither version of spacefm no longer runs under the default TinyCorePure64.  However, if you load Xorg-7.7 extension then restart X Spacefm does indeed work fine.

For a smoother desktop environment use Xorg.
to accomplish this, run
tce-load -wi Xorg-7.7.tcz
tce-load -wi spacefm.tcz
pkill X
startx

After X has been stopped, run the above startx command from the commandline

Alternatively pcmanfm file manager works fine under Xfbdev

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:37:54 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Misalf

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 08:12:46 PM »
Will do a Xfe build on x86_64 soon.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline marcelocripe

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 06:21:34 PM »
zacchi4k and colleagues,

Spacefm.tcz, for now is the file manager that worked best in the tests I did, because spacefm allows you to easily run other programs to open files (bootlocal.sh and .filetool) to edit and still with access as super user, root or sudo.

Pcmanfm.tcz is apparently more beautiful, but I was unable to open the files (bootlocal.sh and .filetool) to edit using pcmanfm, even if I checked the option View, Show Hidden.

The emelf2.tcz I managed to run other programs, open the files (bootlocal.sh and .filetool.lst) to edit and still with access as super user, root or sudo. click on the "H" to view the hidden files.

Other file managers that I tested and that I couldn't easily use: mc.tcz (the simplest, it looks like MS-DOS), emelf.tcz ..

At.
marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translation into English by Google Translate.

------------------

zacchi4k e colegas,

O spacefm.tcz, por enquanto é o gerenciador de arquivos que melhor funcionou nos testes que eu fiz, porque o spacefm permite executar com facilidade outros programas abrir os arquivos (bootlocal.sh e o .filetool) para editar e ainda com o acesso como super usuário, root ou sudo.

O pcmanfm.tcz aparentemente é mais bonito, mas eu não consegui abrir os arquivos (bootlocal.sh e o .filetool) para editar usando o pcmanfm, mesmo marcando a opção View, Show Hidden.

O emelf2.tcz eu consegui executar outros programas, abrir os arquivos (bootlocal.sh e o .filetool.lst) para editar e ainda com o acesso como super usuário, root ou sudo. clique sobre o "H" para visualizar os arquivos ocultos.

Outros gerenciadores de arquivos que testei e que não consegui usar com facilidade: mc.tcz (o mais simples, parece MS-DOS), emelf.tcz..

At.
marcelocripe

Texto original em português do Brasil, tradução para o inglês por Google Tradutor.

Offline marcelocripe

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 10:26:51 AM »
Colleagues,

I tested other file managers:

Xfe.tcz, for now is another file manager that worked best in the tests I did, because it allows you to easily run other programs to open the files (bootlocal.sh and .filetool) to edit and still with super user access, root or sudo.

Nautilus.tcz and rox-file.tcz, I was unable to open the files (bootlocal.sh and .filetool) to edit using these file managers, even running as sudo and viewing hidden files.

Fluff.tcz, I managed to run the editor program with this file manager to open the files (bootlocal.sh and .filetool.lst) to edit, to view or have access like sudo, just click on the "show all" options and "use sudo" from the fluff menu. I was unable to run vlc3.tcz or flviewer.tcz with the fluff.

File-roller.tcz, failed to install, I was unable to test it.

Vifm.tcz, a manager that looks like MS-DOS, I was unable to do anything.

The easiest file managers to use and open other programs through the manager with tiny Core Puls 11.0, so far are: emelfm2.tcz, spacefm.tcz and xfe.tcz.

marcelocripe

Original text in English from Brazil, translated into English by Google Translate.

---------------

Colegas,

Testei outros gerenciadores de arquivos:

O xfe.tcz, por enquanto é outro gerenciador de arquivos que melhor funcionou nos testes que eu fiz, porque permite executar com facilidade outros programas para abrir os arquivos (bootlocal.sh e o .filetool) para editar e ainda com acesso como superusuário, raiz ou sudo.

O nautilus.tcz e rox-file.tcz, eu não consegui abrir os arquivos (bootlocal.sh e o .filetool) para editar usando estes gerenciadores de arquivo, mesmo rodando como sudo e visualizando arquivos ocultos.

O fluff.tcz, eu consegui executar com este gerenciador de arquivos o programa editor para abrir os arquivos (bootlocal.sh e .filetool.lst) para editar, para visualizar ou ter acesso como o sudo, basta clicar nas opções "show all" e "use sudo" do menu do fluff. Eu não consegui executar o vlc3.tcz ou o flviewer.tcz com o fluff.

O file-roller.tcz, falhou na instalação, eu não consegui testá-lo.

O vifm.tcz,  gerenciador que possui aparência do MS-DOS, este eu não consegui fazer nada.

Os gerenciadores de arquivos mais fáceis de usar e abrir outros programas através do gerenciador com o tiny Core Puls 11.0, até o momento são: emelfm2.tcz,  spacefm.tcz e o xfe.tcz.

marcelocripe

Texto original em inglês do Brasil, tradução para inglês pelo Google Tradutor.