WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: rdesktop as thin client  (Read 2245 times)

Offline leenowell

rdesktop as thin client
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:50:30 AM »
Hi All

I have just installed TC and rdesktop on an old laptop to act as a thin client to some VMs running on a central server. When I start rdesktop from a terminal session using

rdesktop <ip address>:<port number>

it launches in full screen mode despite not specifying -f.  Even using -g 50% doesn';t seem to impact it.  For my scenario having it in full screen mode is ideal but the trouble is I can't get out of it to either close this session (to connect to a different VM) or shut the laptop down.  Using the usual ctl-alt-enter combo momentarily flashes the underlying TC UI onto the screen then immediately goes back to the rdesktop full screen. Only way out seems to be to go to command line mode (ctrl-alt-f1) and kill the rdesktop session.

Any ideas?

Also, ideally, I would like the laptop to start with a set of icons (one for each VM) and the user clicks on whichever they want to. connect to.  I was assuming I could write a little script for each and then connect them to an icon of some sort. Is there a better way?

thanks in advance

Lee.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: rdesktop as thin client
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 05:57:51 AM »
Hi leenowell
Even using -g 50% doesn';t seem to impact it.
Maybe try specifying the actual geometry you want, like  -g 800x600.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 06:33:46 AM »
Also, ideally, I would like the laptop to start with a set of icons (one for each VM) and the user clicks on whichever they want to. connect to.  I was assuming I could write a little script for each and then connect them to an icon of some sort. Is there a better way?
You can place scripts in the  /tce/ondemand  directory. Each script will be included in wbar if an icon exists with the same name.
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:creating_custom_command_icons_in_wbar
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline leenowell

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 07:01:26 AM »
Thanks both for your replies...

@Rich - I tried specifying actual sizes (800x600 and 600x480) and no joy unfortunately.  Also tried giving the window a title with a -T option just in case and still nothing.

@Misalf - that looks like exactly what I need thanks.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
Maybe it doesn't like flwm, try different window managers?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.