WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core for Dummies?  (Read 4757 times)

Offline jdh418

Tiny Core for Dummies?
« on: October 01, 2016, 09:44:08 AM »
I am extremely new and probably a little stupid and would greatly appreciate a step by step installation to hard drive procedure for the latest version of TinyCore? Does such a thing exist or does everyone here need to know what tce or sda or any of this other stuff assumed up front in the manuals means?

I am basically wanting a full install on the laptop hard drive, wifi working and maybe a few pointers to get Libre office and paint and dvd player (I did manage to figure that last part out myself!)

I hope some nice person on here could whip up something like that seeing the install is a little "hands on" as it seems now.

Thanks and TC is the best!
JH in Toronto
Q: How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None. That's a hardware problem!

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Tiny Core for Dummies?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:26:41 AM »
On the main site, the "Installation" link at the top covers it. It does expect some Linux knowledge, e.g. it doesn't explain what sda means, etc.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jdh418

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 11:53:04 AM »
Yes, I went through that but looking for "For Dummies" level of breakdown of details... would be for us slower folks that need the hand holding, hopefully someone could take a few minutes and add in the explanations or active links to definitions or even a couple of scenarios where you might be a graphics person so would want "X" specific software or display settings, or you may be a music type and want the best sound card setup info...

I just want to put it on the hard drive of the laptop, an old Acer, and not need the USB any more, use it stand alone cause I think its great...

Offline jdh418

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »
PS- I saw 18 people looked at this thread within an hour so there is interest I guess?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 12:54:04 PM »
Hi
You'll learn quickly by diving in at the deep end. :p

There are a lot of resources available already from the welcome link above; there's the "Book",  the "Installation", the "WiKi"  etc. etc.   Then there's google...

good luck

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »

I just want to put it on the hard drive of the laptop, an old Acer, and not need the USB any more,
how did you install it on the usb ?
 :o
installation to hard drive procedure for the latest version of TinyCore?

partition disk

choose a bootloader ( or write you own   ::) )
  install bootloader to disk
  configure bootloader defaults/menu ect 

copy
        kernel vmlinuz
        initial ramdisk core.gz
 from #tinycorelinux.net
 to disk

add menu entry
 eg*
title  any version of TinyCore.
kernel /vmlinuz
initrd /core.gz

* actual syntax depends on choice of bootloader !  ;)
- kernel cmdline option args not included !

You'll learn quickly by diving in at the deep end. :p
good luck

Offline jdh418

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 09:06:36 PM »
Thanks for the attempt man! I worked in IBM mainframe for 30 years and used to create keystroke by keystroke manuals for every possible procedure that an operator would need to do so you could perform an action without understanding what you did and later, after getting more overview it became meaningful... i just dont have the time or brainpan to devote to the full learning curve. A super clear instructional would open this up to huge numbers of people, seniors and poor people with crappy computers etc...

Someone will be a full hero and do this I bet... I am just an underemployed IT worker with a #hitty older laptop with no guts, won't run Ubuntu worth a darn...cant upgrade and wanted a backup in case my Mac dies...

Offline nitram

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 09:59:33 PM »
Hi jdh418.

You won't find anything better than *Core for older computers. If you are willing to look at variants, here's a step by step dCore (*Core with access to Debian repositories) install to hard drive guide from the dCore wiki: http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:installation_from_iso_without_boot_loader. It's informative, detailed with step by step. Of course there's still much to know and learn. Just take your time and go through the process.

Having said that, if you don't have the time or inclination to learn the install, there's no point continuing with any of the *Core variants as the learning curve continues as you set up and configure the system.

If you want something more click OK, click OK, now installed on hard drive i would strongly recommend Puppy Linux. Comes with pre-configured Window Manager, basic software, etc. Not sure about LibreOffice and such though, you'll need to investigate.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 10:01:50 PM »
Boot from the CorePlus iso, double-click on the tc-install icon, follow the instructions.

Offline jdh418

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 11:02:29 PM »
Hey  nitram, that is getting close to what i looking for. My point is a truly keystroke by keystroke with explanations would be so much help, i will probably "get" more of this eventually but until then just need a no brainer set of instructions so i have a live computer in case its my last working machine, i have gone through quite a few of them and dont want to buy a faster one just cause i dont have the knowledge to set this up now... i know its the cardinal rule usually to keep these things to oneself but we are talking a lot of folks that could benefit, send out resumes, disadvantaged kids with a dead machine at home that could be learning... maybe a little dramatic but I see a huge karmic honeypot for someone opening up this can....

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 01:13:53 PM »
Jeez, you're killing me..

I don't know how much simpler "...follow the instructions" could be. 

:p

Offline patrikg

• Wiki Author
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »