WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: vnc  (Read 2286 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
vnc
« on: September 23, 2016, 04:48:20 PM »
Hi there TC people,

jus wondered if anybdy can help with  VNC?....

i have a head mounted display for my smart phone for movies etc....another great feature is to VNC the laptop screen over into the head display. THis works if i am watching a "web based" server serving up Chrome browser(say)... i VNC into into that from my tool on the phone called "VR VNC". Great..i see chrome browser and it all works.

The same is not true when i try to VNC into my own deskop on my laptop machine.

THe phones VNC tool is just looking for a standard IP address type affair. So i start up TIGHT VNC on the laptop and surely you would just connect the two  with a click? right (It's over a USB cable) and i assume the whole archictectur is LAN and ethernet addresses. (in other words, the internet isn't the pathway here)

Anyhow, i have tried for a while and simply can't get a connection or see my  laptops screen inside the head mounted display. It seems to try connecting but can't find it's server.

Do i need to set up somekind of network or something in win32. Maybe i should watch a youtube on it..

I can't believe VNC can be so badly designed as to not just be a point and click affair of a server to a client?

Vin.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:51:46 PM by cast-fish »

Offline beerstein

Re: vnc
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 11:54:46 AM »
Hi: I discovered that vnc works best when you do the following:
1. ssh from your client into the PC where you want to install the vnc server.
2. Install vnc server (tightvncserver or sim.)  on host and run it for the first time on the host, start it from the client.
Set up the VNC password.
3. Have a vnc client installed on your client device (phone, tablet or PC) Start the client and
vnc into IP: 192.168.0.33:1 - use your server IP

It works for me from PC into Raspian and from Android phone into Raspian.

t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
Re: vnc
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:43:35 AM »
i believe you could be right. Unles you  folow a specific set of actions in the "domains" you mention VNCi'ng won't work. It must be done a specific way at  set-up. Thanks