Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

Deadbeef & File Browser plugin/music player setup

(1/1)

boblamont:
Hi,

I have Tiny Core and Deadbeef working, but I cannot seem to get any version of the Deadbeef file browser plugin working.  The version of Deadbeef available in the App Browser is 0.5.6, which if I understand right, should have a "design" option in the view menu, but it doesn't. So I don't have that option, and the file browser doesn't show up in my list in the plugins preferences tab. My inability to get it to work is not limited to Tiny Core, I've tried on a few live distros that come with different versions of Deadbeef and have not gotten it to show up.

My installation method has been copying the .so file from my usb stick into the plugins directory specified on the Deadbeef plugins page (where all the other plugins are, so I know it's the right place). I do notice a lot of the other plugins in the directory have more files than just the single .so file, despite the directions only saying to copy the .so file there.

Broadening out, what I'm looking for is to be able to find a very stable (i.e. doesn't crash or freeze), quick loading, low spec requirement setup that can handle a 500GB-1TB music library, where I can mostly search but have the option of browsing (though I could let that go if necessary) relatively quickly, then drag the result into a playlist. Multiple playlists would be nice, but a single one is ok. Ability to opt to stop after current song (when desired) is also a preference (less so with multiple playlist support).

The system would be installed on a usb stick. The music library on an external USB drive. Sound output via a standard usb audio stick (a few different ones, but they all are the ones that seem to "just work" with most setups). Ideally, I could have dual outputs with two sticks (trickier if they are the same model?). Another ideal I would like would be to control it with a usb joystick (presumably using either qjoypad or joy2key, neither of which I have tried), though that's not necessary.

I need support for mp3, flac, ogg, m4a. Wav is probably useful, but I rarely need it.

What I do not need is network connectivity (beyond installing something initially if necessary), so using something older is not a security concern. All I need it to do is boot, recognize the drive, load the player/library and be ready to play. I also want to be able to manually scan for new music/directories on demand (Amarok lets me do that, I can either scan updates or rebuild the whole library... one takes a minute or two, the other hours-going-on-days).

I currently have a setup that works well for what I want using PCLinuxOS (2013, I think) and Amarok (1.4.x, I also think). It does everything I specified except it doesn't boot as quick as I'd like and it sometimes can be slow to search (and just feels a bit heavy). It does do the job. (I haven't tried using multiple sound sticks or joystick business).

The lack of machine-specific specs is because I use the same setup on a few different laptops. All are XP-era models. They've worked well so far with what I consider to be a more bloated configuration, so I think working from a more lightweight distro would work even better. The machine I've been testing on is an HP Pavilion ze4800 with, I think, 256 MB RAM.

So I'm looking for both help getting the file browser to work in Deadbeef on Tiny Core and also any guidance on alternative music players/setups I might want to use with Tiny Core or even other possible distros that would better support what I'm trying to do.

Inevitably, I'll follow up on this by asking if using two usb audio sticks will work and how (if possible) to control everything with a usb joystick, so if you want to chime in on those things now, feel free.

Thanks much.

Bob

Juanito:
I guess you're using deadbeef with tc-4.x?

If you copy plugins, rather than compile them, you run the risk of library incompatibilities - if you try the following command, do you get a "not found" error:

--- Code: ---$ ldd /path-to-plugin/plugin_name.so
--- End code ---

curaga:
Does it need to be integrated into the player? Mplayer (and most other players) takes plain text playlists as input, and scanning just file names tends to be faster than opening each file to check for metadata, like Amarok does. Of course assuming your files have good filenames.

If you're willing to do a bit of programming, a small FLTK app that reads all file names on the disk, allows you to search them, and create a playlist wouldn't be that difficult. With it being custom, it would be exactly how you prefer.

edit: outputting the same sound to two sound cards is quite easy, there's asoundrc examples easily googlable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version