WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: installing Tiny Core Linux 7.2 on Vmware ESXi virtual machine  (Read 47594 times)

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: installing Tiny Core Linux 7.2 on Vmware ESXi virtual machine
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 10:59:20 PM »
tinycore has two distinct methods of booting - from a cd/dvd and from other media (hd, usb stick, etc).

As cd/dvd are not writeable, tinycore will not save any extensions downloaded across reboots.

In your vm you have effectively made a cd/dvd install of tinycore and hence it does not save open-vm-tools.

Perhaps the easiest way out of this is to boot the CorePlus iso in your vm and use the tc-install extension to make a hd install of tinycore in your vm.

Once the hd install is saved in your vm, after reboot you will be able to download and save open-vm-tools and set it to load onboot.

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 12:31:14 AM »
Hi nmm4829
i wonder why someone here doesn't assist me to provide an straightforward guide to do this simple task !!!!!
we wouldn't annoy people in Microsoft forums in case a Linux guy come there and need help. 

let me repeat my main question from beginning.
i am 0 % familiar with Linux OS. ...
Since you waited until reply #13 to share that information maybe you could dial down the attitude a little. I don't think anyone
realized you were unfamiliar with Linux based on your posts.
i wonder !
if i was familiar with Linux base OSs, why i would get myself into trouble and spent such time here asking basic questions. if i was familiar and i could resolve my problem, i wouldn't waste the time asking very simple basic questions here.
it would be better if you provided needed guide instead of such statements.seems any goal here except for assistance.
now i know why most people still use MS products.
really poor support here.
if in MS forums, a Linux guy asked such question there, i would guide him wit an exact guide so that no need to ask 2nd question & continue to 13th & still issue not resolved.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 12:38:31 AM »
Did the explanation help?

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 01:40:59 AM »
Thank you.
i have provided an screenshot regarding how i start to create my Virtual machine using TCL 7.2.iso file.

as you see in the attachment screenshot, there is no "installation" option. all options are referring to "booting TCL."

i would prefer using Tiny Core edition since it was very light. but seems we can't install "open-VM-tools" here in Tiny Core since it doesn't get installed & it only boots. is it correct ?

so seems i have to download & install "Tiny CorePlus" which & follow your instructions.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:43:43 AM by nmm4829 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 01:46:40 AM »
You are using TC as a "live cd" there, a concept which does not exist on official Windows, so that does explain some of the confusion. The CorePlus iso is larger because it contains the installer, wireless drivers, and other things - they are not installed unless you check the box, so the resulting install will be as small as you want.

So in short: grab the CorePlus iso, start the installer from the bottom bar. Once there, please follow the install guide on our main home page if you have difficulties.

After installing, remove the CD from the VM.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 01:55:50 AM »
You are using TC as a "live cd" there, a concept which does not exist on official Windows, so that does explain some of the confusion. The CorePlus iso is larger because it contains the installer, wireless drivers, and other things - they are not installed unless you check the box, so the resulting install will be as small as you want.

So in short: grab the CorePlus iso, start the installer from the bottom bar. Once there, please follow the install guide on our main home page if you have difficulties.

After installing, remove the CD from the VM.

thank you.
i have started downloding CorePlus from here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/downloads.html

but seems there is only x86 version. right ?
isn't there any x64 version for current 7.2 release ?

once downloaded i will test that in my virtual machine & will share the result here
regards
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 08:53:41 AM by Rich »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 03:32:13 AM »
No, there is no 64-bit installer currently. Converting a finished 32-bit install is quite doable, but does require manual steps.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 04:06:44 AM »
..basically you do the 32-bit install and then:

* copy corepure64.gz and vmlinuz64 to the same folder as core.gz and vmlinuz
* edit the loader configuration file to point to corepure64.gz and vmlinuz64 instead of core.gz and vmlinuz
* reboot

Edit: (now I've got virtualbox going again after the windows 10 anniversary update killed it)
Copy corepure64.gz and vmlinuz64 to /mnt/sda1/tce/boot
The loader configuration file is at /mnt/sda ce/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:38:01 AM by Juanito »

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 04:41:37 AM »
nice clear answer thanks.

so i downloaded TinyCorePlus7.2 iso file & started installation as is shown in my attachments screenshots.

but finally i end up with this error:
"src0 appears to have a partition already mounted. check if correct device, if so unmount it and then run installer again......"

seems i have to give up using TinyCoreLinux & forget it for ever. seems without learning Linux basics, we can't do even such simple installation.
i needed to install CorePlus inside a VM & install "open-VM-tools" on it & use it in my test labs as a simple VM to test network connectivity & vMotion and so on. i don't need to work inside it & learn the Linux itself.
i am too busy to start learning Linux only to achieve some simple need.

i am sorry if i offended Linux Guys here. perhaps better to use a simple windows 7 or 8 or 10 in my test lab instead of having to start learn Linux only for a such a simple installation.

good bye all
 :'(

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:46:29 AM by nmm4829 »

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 04:45:46 AM »
No screenshots were attached?

If you get the error "src0 appears to have a partition already mounted......" it is probably because you are trying to install to the cd/dvd drive (sr0 in linux-speak) rather than the vm hd (sda in linux-speak).

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 05:08:17 AM »
No screenshots were attached?

If you get the error "src0 appears to have a partition already mounted......" it is probably because you are trying to install to the cd/dvd drive (sr0 in linux-speak) rather than the vm hd (sda in linux-speak).
there are 4 screenshot files attached here. i see them. don't you see them ?

when i right click & open the mount tools, the only item exists here is src0 . i hit refresh but no sda is shown there. :-(

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 05:14:41 AM »
I thought you were going to use the tc-install extension provided with the CorePlus iso to install to the vm hard disk - this doesn't need you to use the mounttool gui...

No, I don't see the screenshots.

Are you attaching a file of the screen shot or using img tags and a url (many countries block imaging pasting sites)?

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2016, 05:26:42 AM »
I thought you were going to use the tc-install extension provided with the CorePlus iso to install to the vm hard disk - this doesn't need you to use the mounttool gui...

No, I don't see the screenshots.

Are you attaching a file of the screen shot or using img tags and a url (many countries block imaging pasting sites)?
yes i right clocked on desktop & selected "tc-install" & then i have provided screenshots of the steps.
i have attached 4 files of screenshots ( i don't ise img tags or urls).
i attach them here again, here you are:

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 05:36:16 AM »
OK - I see the attachments now.

As suspected, you are trying to install to a cd/dvd drive.

Maybe in your vm you need to add a hard disk in the setup (under storage or similar) before it will appear in client applications?

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2016, 06:02:37 AM »
OK - I see the attachments now.

As suspected, you are trying to install to a cd/dvd drive.

Maybe in your vm you need to add a hard disk in the setup (under storage or similar) before it will appear in client applications?

i have 2 SCSI hard disks and one IDE hard disks in my virtual machine hardware configuration.
using F2 key we can enter into BIOs of that Virtual machine and as i checked, hard disks are detected in the BIOS.
please guide me which one of these installation types i must select in the page in the following screenshot ( i recall that the only things i need in my TinyCoreLinux VM are:
1- being able to install "open-VM-tools" in it
2- wired network connectivity" to be able to ping other virtual machines

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 06:07:09 AM by nmm4829 »