WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: installing Tiny Core Linux 7.2 on Vmware ESXi virtual machine  (Read 47600 times)

Offline nmm4829

installing Tiny Core Linux 7.2 on Vmware ESXi virtual machine
« on: September 07, 2016, 01:20:54 AM »
Hello
I am completely new to TCL
I need to install it as a virtual machine in VMware workstation and ESXi.
I have obtained the Tiny Core Linux 7.2 .iso file.
at new virtual machine creation wizard in ESXi, we must select type of OS. what should I select here? there are lots of Linux distributions there except Tiny Core Linux.

if there is .ova file of current version (TCL 7.2) that would be great.
many thanks in advanced

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: installing Tiny Core Linux 7.2 on Vmware ESXi virtual machine
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 02:23:11 AM »
Usually you can select something like "Generic Linux", "Linux 3.0" or "Linux 2.6".
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline andyj

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 03:51:22 AM »
I use TC in VMware Workstation and ESXi extensively, and I'm the current maintainer of the open-vm-tools extension that you will need for your VM's. Just pick a generic Linux kernel. The OS's in the list are there so VMware can tweak some settings for the respective distributions' tweaks. Don't bother trying to install VM tools from the menus; it won't work. Just use the open-vm-tools extension, it's faster and easier. If you're not using X there is an open-vm-tools-esxi extension that's lighter. Use IDE for the disk type, TC doesn't recognize VMware's SAS and SATA hardware.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »
TC doesn't recognize VMware's SAS and SATA hardware.

It certainly should, the PVSCSI module is included for that reason. Does it need some other module?

Offline andyj

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:27:07 PM »
I just tested TC 7.2 32-bit in VMplayer 12. IDE and SATA drives are detected. SCSI drives are not. SATA didn't work for me in previous versions, so I didn't know it might work now. I assume that SCSI would need either the LSI or Bus Logic adapter modules. I believe that in VM workstation 12 I get to choose the adapter for the SCSI devices whereas in player I don't. I'll have to check that out on a different computer. The paravirtual scsi drive is detected in ESXi, but the mouse doesn't work in the desktop when using the web GUI console. I can't check if it would install because there doesn't seem to be a way to advance past the first screen in tc_install using the keyboard. Hitting enter when the next arrow key is selected goes back to the previous check box. I didn't try the CLI version of tc_install, and I didn't try to configure an LSI SCSI drive in ESXi. I think I would have to use the Windows vSphere client to do an install using the GUI, as I recall that's how I did it last time. There isn't an X log file in /var/log to diagnose the mouse problem.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 12:55:17 AM »
FLTK uses space instead of enter.

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 02:09:40 AM »
I use TC in VMware Workstation and ESXi extensively, and I'm the current maintainer of the open-vm-tools extension that you will need for your VM's. Just pick a generic Linux kernel. The OS's in the list are there so VMware can tweak some settings for the respective distributions' tweaks. Don't bother trying to install VM tools from the menus; it won't work. Just use the open-vm-tools extension, it's faster and easier. If you're not using X there is an open-vm-tools-esxi extension that's lighter. Use IDE for the disk type, TC doesn't recognize VMware's SAS and SATA hardware.
Hello. thank you very much.
my main aim is installing it in vmware ESXi 6 update1.
so in OS selection page there were these options:
other 3.x Linux
other 2.6.x Linux
other Linux
i selected "other Linux"
i installed TCL 2.7 on this VM. i checked its hard disk is SCSI (LSI Logic parallel).
so my main aim is to install kind of "VMware tools" in this VM but as you said i have to install something else called "open-vm-tools extension"
may you please introduce me a step by step guide on how to install or use hat in that VM?

i'm not familiar with any Linux OS, i am a MCSE , but i need to work with TCL in my project so i have to install that in my VM. so i need a very straightforward guide to follow

thank you very much for your support

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 02:12:52 AM »
also thanks to all who replied to my question. really active forum
 :)

Offline andyj

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 02:47:32 AM »
The easiest way is to use the Windows vSphere client so the screen will work. Upload the TC 7.2 iso to the EXSi datastore, create a new VM, select paravirtual scsi for the adapter type and create a hard drive, and pick the iso for the CD image. Use Other 3.x Linux as the OS type. It should be a standard install from there.

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 03:35:08 AM »
The easiest way is to use the Windows vSphere client so the screen will work. Upload the TC 7.2 iso to the EXSi datastore, create a new VM, select paravirtual scsi for the adapter type and create a hard drive, and pick the iso for the CD image. Use Other 3.x Linux as the OS type. It should be a standard install from there.
thanks i will test this when i get to my lab. so will this procedure install "open VM tools" automatically ?
for example when i click inside my TCL and then i move the mouse to outside, it will automatically released ?

Offline andyj

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 04:55:05 PM »
Open-vm-tools is not automatically installed. It has to be installed like any other TC extension. See the comments in the app browser for the functionality available for the different vmware products.

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 07:39:55 AM »
Open-vm-tools is not automatically installed. It has to be installed like any other TC extension. See the comments in the app browser for the functionality available for the different vmware products.
Thank you. i followed your instruction and selected open-VM-tools & i clicked on Go button. it connected to internet & it downloaded many files. but at the end, the downloading window disappeared automatically & the main window of App browser appears on the screen (as i have shown in attachment pic)

i repeated the same process twice but still the same result.

how can i make sure whether "open-vm-tools" has been downloaded & installed successfully ?

i rebooted that VM but still mouse doesn't get released automatically so seems open-VM-tools hasn't been installed successfully.
i put an screen shot of my TCL VM here in attachments.

any help please?!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:01:00 AM by nmm4829 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:20 AM »
Why is your tce dir the cdrom?

Offline nmm4829

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 10:37:38 PM »
Why is your tce dir the cdrom?

i wonder why someone here doesn't assist me to provide an straightforward guide to do this simple task !!!!!
we wouldn't annoy people in Microsoft forums in case a Linux guy come there and need help.  >:(

let me repeat my main question from beginning.
i am 0 % familiar with Linux OS.
i solely need to install "open-VM-tools" in a Tiny core linux 7.2 which is installed on a virtual machine in vmware ESXi 6.

would a person write me some lines here to how to do that ?   

answers which were given me here are not simple to underestand for a person like me which is zero percent familiar with Linux.
however i have continued using something called "App browser" & provided a screenshot.

you said "Why is your tce dir the cdrom?"

i am not familiar with Linux, i don't know how to change this dir. i don't know where to change it. please provide me a full support & steps to do this simple task, so that i be not forced to ask thousands of new question for the rest of the operation.

i wonder, if a Linux guy provided me a simple complete guide, i wouldn't be force to ask these number of questions for such simple issue.
 >:(

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »
Hi nmm4829
i wonder why someone here doesn't assist me to provide an straightforward guide to do this simple task !!!!!
we wouldn't annoy people in Microsoft forums in case a Linux guy come there and need help. 

let me repeat my main question from beginning.
i am 0 % familiar with Linux OS. ...
Since you waited until reply #13 to share that information maybe you could dial down the attitude a little. I don't think anyone
realized you were unfamiliar with Linux based on your posts.