WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] possible burn cd or iso issues for 7.2 686 (32 bit)  (Read 2773 times)

aus9

[SOLVED] possible burn cd or iso issues for 7.2 686 (32 bit)
« on: September 01, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »
Hi

I am sorry for this post appearing a little negative but I need your help.

Firstly my target hardware is a dell laptop that I already know has a faulty
electrical system. Dell no longer has a working internal optical drive, it died about 3 years ago.
Either the 3 year old battery is is cactus because on different distro
the app called upower shows at 100% charge with ac plug pulled I have 3 hours use
but at 99% it drops to 2 hours 34 minutes

In real terms it lasts about one hour with me playing media stuff etc. I am not going to spend any money taking it to someone who can test the hardware as I now own Android smart phone. I bought it because someone told me it would make me smarter ;)

So I thought I would test out the 32 bit and 64 bit distros.

The 64 bit boots so the error appears to be either
my burn of the 32 bit,
the exernal usb dvd drive can't handle a non-UEFI cd
me  (yes I have a sense of humour, the blonde in the mirror says I am very good looking ;)
or there might be something wrong with the build of the 32 iso

First I check my downloads
Code: [Select]
$ md5sum TinyCore*
2298e7b6d1055921aa80983fb31bb933  TinyCore-7.2.iso
6b1e0a60f8334623c0fac930a82a4772  TinyCorePure64-7.2.iso

They are good

Second for each disc inserted attempt to match them to their respective iso files
Pathways are my non-LHS pathways and should not affect the test
Code: [Select]
$ cmp /dev/cdrom  /p4/g/1isos/TinyCorePure64-7.2.iso
cmp: EOF on /p4/g/1isos/TinyCorePure64-7.2.iso

# eject and insert next disc
$ cmp /dev/cdrom /p4/g/1isosTinyCore-7.2.iso
cmp: EOF on /p4/g/1isos/TinyCore-7.2.iso

conclusion based on internet post
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/39467/how-to-verify-a-cd-against-an-iso-image

my burns are the same as the isos.....

#########################################################
so allegedly there is something funny about the 686 iso.

What do you guys think?

error at boot fail for 32 disc is mainly
usr/bin/mcookie line 1 ELF not found

trivia

for those interested I have made a movie which plays in vlc size of download 14 megs in webm format
originally it was avi but size was 32 megs and my internet download speed is about 400 kilos per second
so upload speed is a shocker.

The movies is not designed to be professional quality. It is just to prove that I am booting the cd and not some altered usb setup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slup3zvwpqlwlrg/dell2.webm?dl=0

also a screenshot from the dell....actually the same boot up error appears on my tower too

Naturally I prolly wrong as my umm skills are not great

any thoughts or clues would be appreciated.

I have not asked why the 686 is not a UEFI disc.

cheers

gordon

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:00:48 AM by Rich »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: possible burn cd or iso issues for 7.2 686 (32 bit)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:05:57 PM »
If you hit F12 as you boot your dell, does the 32-bit CD come up in the list of devices available to boot from under legacy bios or UEFI?

If you repeat the above with the 64-bit CD, do things change?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 12:33:35 AM »
The mcookie thing is usually having an old tce dir on the hd/usb stick while booting from newer media.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

aus9

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 01:32:08 AM »
thanks for both replies.....this is a cdrw disc boot up not an USB stick boot up.

However I think there may be a left over TC install on the dell but there is absolutely no TC stuff at time of post on my tower.
The tower has NOW got a bit of 64 bit stuff on its dedicated partition of sda3 and unfortunately I won't be removing it to test.
And rebuild of tower stuff is continuing with my super slow internet.

I had not see curaga's reply at time of logging back in so I will have to get back to after destroying all TC stuff on the dell.

############################

In the meantime here are my responses to Juanito

If you hit F12 as you boot your dell, does the 32-bit CD come up in the list of devices available to boot from under legacy bios or UEFI?
Yes and I show the second image showing I made optical disc first boot device.....and it works

#############
with the tower I have left HD as first boot device but again the optical drive shows up as a bootable menu.
My bios uses F12 for screenshot but F8 gives me the same thing that I think you are asking for

umm not sure how to reply about does the tower change things....I can't see the boot order being an issue personally as the cd menu appears and it boots. and then gives the error message.

I am now guessing from both replies that no-one else has this issue. So it prolly was wise not to have posted in other forums.

The problem is, the tower now has TCE dir on /dev/sda3 so not sure if that affects any answer curaga is suggesting.

I will get back to on the dell after I ensure there is no remmants of TC on the internal hard drive, even if that is not what curaga meant.....as its the dell that I have problems with.

The tower get a 64 bit install .....the dell needs 32 bit to keep packages smaller but it can take a 64 bit install.

If I can't resolve this issue...I will mark it solved and install 64 bit on the dell  so no need to worry.

cheers

aus9

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 01:52:17 AM »
Hi

curaga was correct so I must have remmants on my tower as well.

dell had all stuff deleted from internal drive....TC 686 boots without showing error message

Please mark as [solved]

thanks everyone for their help