WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: lirc modules in 8.0b4  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Aled

lirc modules in 8.0b4
« on: August 07, 2016, 01:00:51 AM »
Hi, I'm trying to set up a pi zero with lirc using the gpio pins.
Are the modules for lirc included in the kernel with 8.x? I couldnt find what I thought would be in lib/modules.
As lirc is not in the repo for 8.x I have tried compiling it myself but have hit a dead end.

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
Re: lirc modules in 8.0b4
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 05:48:01 AM »
all kernel source and modules are on the repo, just look.

http://tinycorelinux.net/8.x/armv6/releases/RPi/src/kernel/

Substitute armv7 if you have an rpi2 or 3
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:49:40 AM by Paul_123 »

Offline Aled

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 06:29:49 AM »
Thanks.
I've already looked into that and it seemed that they were included but I couldn't get it to work with modprobe, it's been over 5 years since I've set up a new machine and things seem to have changed somewhat. From what I've found looking into it I have to add something to the config on the boot partition to enable it? Or should it just work and I'm missing something obvious?

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 09:25:11 AM »
take a look at the file

/mnt/mmcblk0p1/overlays/README

It will explain the lirc overlays.......those commands go in the config.txt that is on the boot partition

Offline Aled

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 04:51:08 PM »
ok, I've added the "dtoverlay=lirc-rpi" to the config.txt, tried like that, and with several other options set (dtparam=) and still no joy, still nothing comes up when I enter "dmesg|grep lirc". Is there a way to troubleshoot this? it seems to not be loading the module at all, is there a log written as the overlay is being loaded which I could check for errors?

Offline Aled

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 04:15:15 PM »
From what i can tell, the previous version of picore has already available packages needed to make lirc work -

irda-4.1.20-piCore+.tcz
lirc.tcz

I've copied the files from the relevant version of the raspbian github to make a new version of irda-4.1.20-piCore+.tcz for the current kernel, I'm sure there's an easier way to do this but at least I'm getting somewhere now.   With my new irda-4.4.15-piCore+.tcz I'm actually now getting a sensible result from lsmod and the /dev/lirc device exists!

Now hopefully I can get lirc itself up and running...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:50:09 PM by Aled »