WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Pi Zero usb LAN adapter  (Read 24744 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Pi Zero usb LAN adapter
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »
 Copy the md5 file to optional dir also.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline my sounds

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 10:14:46 AM »
Hi Greg & Bela

Thanks for your help so far but I am having problems. I am wondering if the ethernet bit of the usb hub is duff. I have an Pi0 with a wifi dongle connected via the hub. I can talk to the pi0 using Putty & WinSCP (Thanks Greg) - so the usb bit of it works ok with the wifi.

I have installed net-usb-4.1.20-piCore+.tcz including the md5 txt file as per your instructions. Indeed this module is showing as being loaded in the PCP extensions interface.

I attach output from lsmod & ifconfig along with an extract from dmesg re the hub. This is with the hub plugged in as above and the ethernet connected to my switch. The hub shows constant blue at the Pi0 connection end and eventually it moves to solid blue (after flashing for a while) at the ethernet end.

Do I have a duff ethernet connection or have I missed siomething fundamental?

Thanks Paul

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 11:47:14 AM »
You have two IP interfaces which need special attention. Remove WiFi stick and reboot with Ethernet only.
Béla

Offline my sounds

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 04:01:35 AM »
Thanks Bela.

I have tried this before but tried it again and still no success. Given I am running headless I cannot provide any further info when running in this configuration. Any further ideas?

Paul

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 04:06:53 AM »
Grab an USB serial adapter and use the serial console to debug.
Béla

Offline my sounds

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2016, 09:51:35 AM »
Dear Bela and Greg

I continue to have problems with this usb hub/ethernet dongle. It works with full Raspbian so hardware is OK.

I have booted with keyboard and screen attached and only wired ethernet rather than running headless and confirm that in this setup ifconfig only shows local loopback l0 with no eth0. In either configuration (wifi or as above) r8152 is not being loaded.

FYI when booting it shows 8.0beta4 and kernel 4.4.15-piCore+. I loaded extension 4.1.20-piCore+.tcz as per Greg's note. And tce/optional has this and onboot.lst is updated as specified.

I was wanting to try using wired ethernet without wifi to take the strain off the Pi0 so I could play FLAC without stutter as per advice from Gordon of IQAudio. I seem to be getting further away from this the more I try!

Any other ideas?

Offline sbp

• piCorePlayer homepage
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2016, 10:30:17 AM »

I have booted with keyboard and screen attached and only wired ethernet rather than running headless and confirm that in this setup ifconfig only shows local loopback l0 with no eth0. In either configuration (wifi or as above) r8152 is not being loaded.

FYI when booting it shows 8.0beta4 and kernel 4.4.15-piCore+. I loaded extension 4.1.20-piCore+.tcz as per Greg's note. And tce/optional has this and onboot.lst is updated as specified.

Sorry, but you are mixing an old kernel with a newer module - that will not work.

You need to use the newest piCore-8.0 which is using kernel 4.1.20. After doing that your extension based on 4.1.20+.tcz will match and the module can be loaded and used and hopefully your USB to LAN device will work.

Regards
Steen

Offline my sounds

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2016, 12:17:29 PM »
Steen

Thanks for your speedy and informative reply.  Unfortunately I have no idea how I can load the newest PiCore-8.0 with kernel 4.1.20+.tcz. I am using PiCorePlayer as I want to use the audio stuff within to drive my PHat DAC. BTW the DAC works fine with a Pi0 over wifi to play MP3's - unfortunately no good with FLAC - lots of stutter.

Any pointers as to how I may follow your advice?

Regards
Paul

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2016, 08:41:34 AM »
Steen

Thanks for your speedy and informative reply.  Unfortunately I have no idea how I can load the newest PiCore-8.0 with kernel 4.1.20+.tcz. I am using PiCorePlayer as I want to use the audio stuff within to drive my PHat DAC. BTW the DAC works fine with a Pi0 over wifi to play MP3's - unfortunately no good with FLAC - lots of stutter.

Any pointers as to how I may follow your advice?

Regards
Paul

Upgrade to piCorePlayer 3.02

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?105997-Announce-piCorePlayer-3-00&p=863233&viewfull=1#post863233

Offline my sounds

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2016, 09:51:48 AM »
Thanks to all for your input in resolving my problem.

I am now up and running PCP 3.02 on Pi0. The usb/wired ethernet connect now allows me to play FLAC files from LMS7.9/RPi2B combo. When using wifi on the Pi0 it was impossible to play FLAC files given amount of stutter present.

Thanks again
Paul

Offline beerstein

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2016, 10:51:35 AM »
hi: Does anyone  know where I can buy one in europe?
One computer store in SoCal sometimes has 5 pieces on stock at one per house hold. Only in store sales - no mail order.
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline my sounds

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
These are the places I have purchased Pi zero and associated bits. Seems the deal is you have to buy a kit these days. May be the margins on the Zero are very small.

shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero
thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero

Paul

Offline R1220

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2016, 05:34:39 AM »
Hi!
Did you tried with this?
http://blog.gbaman.info/?p=791
It works pretty good. But only with the Zero! I've just created an usb0 network, give a static ip to the rpi and just that!  now i'm going to configure a bridge connection so i can share internet trough the laptop to the rpi via usb.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:48:05 AM by R1220 »

Offline my sounds

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2016, 06:06:28 AM »
I have used this method to access my zero - it is good. However the problem I had, which is now resolved, was to have the zero access my LAN via a wired ethernet connect not involving anything more than a usb-ethernet dongle ie not using an intervening computer to provide such a link. 

I use my zero as a music player on my home network served by lms7.9 . Indeed I now suspect that my need for the wired connect was because FLAC was overloading the wifi bandwidth. I have now circumvented this difficulty by having the server transcode to mp3 before transmitting. So ironically I now no longer need the a wired connect to my LAN.

As per usual a big thank you to the community for helping me sort this lot.

Paul

Offline tehfink

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 06:21:26 PM »
Hi Paul,

I use winSCP to copy files to the Raspberry Pi.

1. Copy net-usb-4.1.20-piCore+.tcz to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/optional
2. Add this line "net-usb-4.1.20-piCore+.tcz" to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/onboot.lst

regards
Greg

Hi guys,

What's the correct procedure nowadays to use a USB-ethernet adapter with a pi zero?

There doesn't seem to be a "net-usb-4.9.22-piCore+.tcz" available for piCore 9:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/9.x/armv6/tcz/