WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Trying Tinycore Linux on Lenovo G50-45 Laptop need wifi for rtl8723be.  (Read 10895 times)

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
Hi,
I am coming back to this forum after many years. I am trying TinyCorePure64-7.1 from usb on my Lenovo Laptop G50-45. I normally use Ubuntu 16.04 on this Laptop. I could not make bootable usb stick from TinyCorePure64 iso for UEFI from the iso. Then I formatted the usb stick for GPT/FAT32 and installed grub2 as per instructions on Ubuntuforums , mounted Tinycore ISO and copied the contents to the USB stick including grub config file. I renamed the cde folder to tce and could boot and now running Tinycore Linux.

I installed Opera Browser and posting this. I am using eth0 but would like to use wlan0 which is not yet detected.
My wifi card is Realtek and needs the driver rtl8723be
On Ubuntu I get following output:
Code: [Select]
$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [10ec:b723]
    Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:b736]
    Kernel driver in use: rtl8723be
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3812]
    Kernel driver in use: r8169
On TinyCore Linux I do not get the name of the driver "rtl8723be" by using the above command.

Kamalakar

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
You can see how to make a uefi bootable usb stick here:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,19364.msg119228.html#msg119228

If you cannot find a command in the base, use the "provides" function of the apps gui - this would show that "lspci" is provided by the pciutils extension.

The "provides" function also shows that rtl8723 is provided by the wireless-4.2.9-tinycore64 extension.

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
I installed the required tcz:
wireless-4.2.9-tinycore64.tcz
wireless_tools.tcz
firmware-rtlwifi.tcz
wpa_supplicant-dbus.tcz
wpa_supplicant.tcz
But struggled with /opt/wpa_configure.conf  file:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={

ssid=MYSSID
      proto=WPA
      key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
      pairwise=TKIP
      group=TKIP
      psk=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

}
I had to remove proto, key_mgmt, pairwise and group and leave only ssid and psk in the file to successfully connect.

Kamalakar

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
You should not load both wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant-dbus together, only one or the other is required.

Maybe better to use the wifi extension to connect?