Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

TinyCore 7.0 + LiliUSB ==> window manager not starting?

(1/3) > >>

tana60:
Hello everyone,

I recently discovered TC and its great originality  :)
Yesterday I made a bootable USB key using LiliUSB with the 7.0 iso, and it worked. It was a small key of 4GB.

But today, I tried to remake this on a biggest key: on TC, using fdisk (and msdosfs.tcz), I partitionned a 64GB key into
sdb1 => 8 GB, vfat
sdb2 => 27 GB, Linux
sdb3 => 20 GB, Linux
Then Windows was seeing just a 7.4GB key, and I put the current iso on it.
TC boots normally, but I end up with command-line only  :(

I tried "startx" but it says "not found"

There is a "cde" directory in the first partition [why not "tce"? BBTW I tried to rename it to "tce", but the wondow manager no works], and yes there is onboot.lst whith the lines
flwm_topside.tcz
Xvesa.tcz

Thank you for reading!  :D

Misalf:
Windows only sees the first partition on USB flash drives.
3rd party installers are not supported by (Tiny) Core.
The cde directory is used when (or rather for detecting if) booting from CD. 3rd party installers don't respect that since it's tiny core specific which results in broken installations. IIRC, renaming the cde directory to tce and maybe adjusting the boot loader's config was reported to be enough to get a USB flash drive installation running after installing via unetbootin.

However,  tc-install.tcz ,  core2usb.exe  or manually are the ways to go.

tana60:
Hello Misalf,
Thank you!  :D

OK, I did not know there was known issues using 3rd party installers.
Just renaming 'cde' to 'tce' was not enough to fix the problem... maybe I will try hacking the boot loader.

--- Quote ---However,  tc-install.tcz ,  core2usb.exe  or manually are the ways to go.
--- End quote ---

1) Does tc-install run from the command-line? Because as said for instant I have no window manager  :(
Oh, seeking in the CoreBook, I found that there is a tc-install.sh script, that seems to be fine:
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/Linux/CoreInstall.shtml

2) core2usb.exe says the disk is not empty  :-[ even after reformatting! (I suspect Windows to put hidden files that do not appear even asking for them?... But given that core2usb intented for Win systems, maybe must to fix this ?)

3) Ok I am reading the CoreBook to understand the manip, hope it will be OK!

Thank you a lot!  :)

jls:
Maybe you need to add the waitusb boot code

tana60:

--- Quote from: jls on June 03, 2016, 05:09:14 AM ---Maybe you need to add the waitusb boot code

--- End quote ---
Thank you  :) !
But... I was always booting with this option, without success  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version