WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xorg-vesa.lite.core.tcz  (Read 9058 times)

Offline meo

Xorg-vesa.lite.core.tcz
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:10:57 PM »
Hi curaga!

It seems that you are the right person to direct this question I have. What is the difference between the standard xserver and the new Xorg-vesa.lite.core.tcz? Could the latter one improve the experience on an old laptop or should I just continue with the standard? I have seen that you are doing a great deal of work to improve TC and MC and I really appreciate that. Microcore has become my first option of the two. So keep up the work of improving it.

Have fun working with TC and MC,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline meo

Re: Xorg-vesa.lite.core.tcz
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:53:56 PM »
Hi!

This question has already been answered in another thread. Sorry for the doublepost!!!

Have fun,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline meo

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:48:38 AM »
Hi curaga!

Well this time I have another question concerning Xorg-vesa-lite.core.tcz. I tried it last night (or rather, early this morning) but I couldn't get it to work properly. I have an old Dell Latitude CS500H and it has a neomagic audio and graphic chip. The optimal resolution is 1024x768 but is looked as if something like 1024x500 was used when I tried the core element mentioned above. Is there a way to make it work on my laptop (it has 256 MB RAM) properly? I'm just curious about it. I have a small problem with the default xvesa. It kind of mirrors what is at the righthand side of the screen. It makes the background look double just at the edge of the screen for example. It has been that way since I started using DSL at the beginning of 2004 so I am used to it and always avoid that part of the screen (while browsing the net I leave like 2 mm or a tenth of an inch free at the right side for example). So I would like to see what happens with another xserver. That's mainly why I have tried this other xserver extension with microcore.

Have fun making extensions for TC and MC,
meo

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »
Well, I guess there's not enough video ram in your neomagic chip for 1024x768, which would be why both Xvesa and Xorg show strange behavior. You could try use a lower bit depth than 24 (16 or 15).

Have you tried the full Xorg, with the neomagic driver?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline meo

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:14:33 AM »
Hi again!

Thanks for your response. I haven't tried the full Xorg with TC or MC but I also have the last version of ubuntu installed and it works fine. I always use the depth of 16 and that is what this box can do also with windows and the original drivers. But, as I mentioned, I have never bothered with trying out the full Xorg as I am used to the little problem I have with xvesa and it doesn't bother me much. I guess that I have to conform with xvesa and it's little snag.

Have fun building new extensions for TC and MC,
meo