WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing programs that aren't packages  (Read 1779 times)

Offline DHeadshot

• Fediverse profile
Installing programs that aren't packages
« on: May 25, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »
(This might be the wrong forum for posting this, but it is a Question, so I assumed Q&A made sense).

I would like to install some software not included as a TCZ.  In a normal Linux installation, I would simply extract the tar, run configure, make and make install.  However, not only will this not persist on TinyCore but because the files are stored in RAM, I simply don't have the memory to do that.  I could put the software on /mnt/sda1 and then manually put in place symbolic links I guess but that is not only complicated, I'd have to put the links back every reboot.  I presume there's a simpler way that's similar to how TCZs work, but I don't know what it is.  Can anyone explain how I can solve this issue?  Thanks.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Installing programs that aren't packages
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:53:40 PM »

Offline DHeadshot

• Fediverse profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »
Having read that I still don't understand what I have to do.  Additionally, since the software is from somewhere else, I don't want to send it in to be a part of the repository as I don't necessarily have their permission to do so.  Presumably that step is optional but nevertheless, could someone explain the steps from the point of view of having a piece of software from an exernal source in a form that I might be able to understand as someone coming from a non-tinycore-architectural standpoint?  Thanks.

Offline DHeadshot

• Fediverse profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 04:39:32 PM »
(There doesn't appear to be an edit button so I'm just having to reply here)

I think I've managed to get a TCZ from the package, now what do I do with it to get it to work?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 05:40:55 PM »
Start by reading the book, because I don't think you understand TinyCore yet.
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:38:41 AM »
If you have a tcz made, you'd move it to your tce/optional folder, and add its name to your onboot.lst so it gets loaded on boot.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.