WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Recommmendations for Netbook Acer Aspire One A01 131 C3UH  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Schelmuffsky

Recommmendations for Netbook Acer Aspire One A01 131 C3UH
« on: April 30, 2016, 06:57:38 AM »
I have said netbook with with a Swiss (CH) keyboard layout.
I'm looking for a slim Linux distro for it.

These are the specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron N3050 (1.6 GHz)
RAM: 2GB DDR3L SDRAM
Display: 1366 x 768
Videocard: Intel HD Graphics
WLAN: IEEE 802.11b/g/n
Storage: 32 GB SDD (25 GB for Windows, 7 GB free)
Webcam: Acer CrystalEye
Mouse: Touchpad
Cooling: none (really not necessary with that CPU and storage)
Connections: USB 3.0, USB 2.0, HDMI, Headset 3.5mm, SD-Card
Operating System: Windows 10 64-Bit

I'm satisfied with the way the Notebook works with the preinstalled Windows 10, but given the fact, that i want to used it mainly for writing and researching in the internet, i feel like running it on Windows 10 64-Bit is a waste of ressources. Currently I get about 7-8 hours out of its battery, only using a word processor and the display at its lowest brightnes. Multitasking isn't really a good idea iwth that machine, but yet again, that was never my true intention with it. Still, when I'm browsing in the internet via firefox and switch between pages and Libreoffice (or any other word processor instead, i guess), it's using a lot of CPU.
I've never used any Linux distro, but I've wanted to try it for a long time. I'm also willing to put some time and effort into it.
I've created a Recovery Drive and a System Image of my AA1, so as long as i don't tinker with my hardware, its system should be full revoerable, or am I wrong?

Would it be possible to equip my netbook with a Tiny Core Linux distribution which allows me to access all the hardware listed above, by either single boot or multiboot?
My main goal is to increase battery life, while still being able to use basic functions.
In particular, these are the things i want to be able to do with it:

high priority:
- use a word processor
- connect to WLAN
- browse the internet
- use my touchpad
- change display brightness
- use USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and SD card reader
- use 1366 x 768 resolution
- use Swiss keyboard layout

low priority:
- use webcam
- use Headset connector (3.5mm jack) or at least headphones

What do you think? Am I on the right place here?
Would Tiny Core, or any other slim Linux distro for that matter, make any difference to battery life?
And how would internet browsing look like? Would it eat the same amount of ressources like on windows 10, and therefore depend on webcontent only and not on the OS it uses?
Or, on the opposite side, would Tiny Core turn my netbook in a waste of hardware?

I'll be glad to read your thoughts on this!

Greetings

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Recommmendations for Netbook Acer Aspire One A01 131 C3UH
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 07:47:25 AM »
I'm afraid it's unlikely you will get more battery under Linux than Windows. It's a well known fact that notebook and driver manufacturers only test and care about Windows; even if you enabled every power saving measure under Linux, it would likely still use more power than Windows, because the drivers do not have as much knowledge.

IOW, moving to Linux would give you a safer and maybe faster system, using less RAM and less disk space, but it doesn't help battery life.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.