WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dCore wiki update...  (Read 25422 times)

Offline nitram

dCore wiki update...
« on: May 09, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »
The dCore wiki is being updated, both format and new content. Feel free to add content or let me know if there are items that should be addressed. Still a work in progress, couple noteworthy items:

1. The installation section does not yet have a full install example with just the dCore*.iso and an empty drive (only from existing Linux installs using a pre-installed bootloader). Hope to add this content next couple weeks. If someone already has a step-by-step list, let me know.

2. Forum member LichenSymbiont previously posted a link of his 'automatic installation script'. This section of the wiki is now entitled 'Unofficial dCore Scripts', meaning Jason does not need to provide support. Users feel free to add additional scripts or script links you feel may benefit other dCore users - be prepared to provide support if necessary: http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:scripts. If the general consensus is that unnofficial script/links should not be added to the dCore wiki, that's okay too, just let me know and i will revise/delete.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: dCore wiki update...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 04:59:43 PM »
Thanks.  I think dCore should have a section for contributed scripts.  Perhaps I should put up a 'programming and scripting' section here like there is in the Core section.  I am good with either the wiki or a p&s area, I would like to hear input and see what the thoughts are on it. 

Offline nitram

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 01:43:35 AM »
Well for now the wiki only has one user-contributed script but hopefully that will change over time. Personally like the idea of having this section in the wiki. A dCore subforum for scripters would be nice too but probably wouldn't see much activity at this time.

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 12:04:15 PM »
Thanks for your continuous efforts with making the wiki really shine, Nitram! The ISO-installation has been on my list for a long time but I won't be able to get to it anytime soon. Step-by-step instructions would be tremendously useful for  newcomers.

My 0.02$ on the specific topic: I would prefer having scripts in a finalized version available through the wiki rather than having to browse through forum posts containing different beta versions. For the time being, the discussion can well take place in the general forum.

Cheers everybody!
sm

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 01:46:36 PM »
Some good points made and I agree with them.

Offline LichenSymbiont

• Github: LichenSymbiont
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 02:52:29 PM »
Thanks.  I think dCore should have a section for contributed scripts.  Perhaps I should put up a 'programming and scripting' section here like there is in the Core section.  I am good with either the wiki or a p&s area, I would like to hear input and see what the thoughts are on it.
That sounds excellent!
I feel so damn bad for not making a working installation script now... but at least I made it, and had it published, in a simple open source format where anyone can contribute... so I shouldn't feel too bad.

But I have more interesting things in the pipes, so a section for or forum-topic at least, for dCore scripts, source code and packages would be nice.

And you have my blessing for continuing work on the wiki as well Nitram! Make a section for that as well Nitram ^^, where you write down "Contributors to the wiki are officially blessed by LichenSymbiont and sm8ps" or whatever, hehe.
Though I'm not so arrogant as to think my means anything, but it's nice to know you have someone with you. Though that may be presumptious even, just insulting your intelligence, as you know exactly what the hell you are doing.

And also I'm not the guy you'd ask if you wanted to install Arch from scratch or whatever, I don't know Linux that well on the low level -- as I don't think I need to, or will ever need to. As I think there should really be a solid installation script. But I can write clean and nicely structured scripts. So I welcome messy contributions that I can just clean up.
Hmm... and that's mostly the reason, really, that it didn't get completed, I just tried to learn the Arch install scripts, and thought I could just magically boil it down. But those scripts are quite huge, and I just didn't have the patience for it.

Anyways, keep on working for the best dCore possible everyone! :)
Basic mindfulness discipline: Why not be totally relaxed and fearless in this moment?
I have finally started my Github page for dCore: https://github.com/LichenSymbiont/linux-scripts

Offline nitram

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »
Just completed a detailed step by step manual installation guide:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:installation_from_iso_without_boot_loader

dCore Install From ISO to Hard Drive Without Existing Boot Loader

A manual persistent dCore base installation from ISO to hard drive without a pre-existing boot loader using primarily built-in tools to partition drive, prepare file systems, copy over dCore files and install Grub legacy boot loader. This will install a stand-alone dCore system without the need for an installer or pre-existing Linux system:

Tried using  dCore-install  but couldn't get it working, failed to find the dCore-wily files despite providing the correct pathway. Maybe i was just using it wrong, didn't troubleshoot. At first glance it may be searching for generic initrd and kernel names, not dCore specific like dCore-wily.gz. May try to troubleshoot later unless someone else has energy. Would be nice to have a wiki installation example using an actual installer.

Also if anyone can share configuration notes and a brief how to for boot loaders other than Grub legacy and Grub2 let me know. Personally would like to learn yet another boot loader but really also to help round out the dCore installation wiki. Please post to wiki or give me your notes and i will upload and format, thanks.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »
I have been meaning to get to dCore-install, but have not had time.  I will aim to fix it to where one can use full names, either specify or pick from a list.  Of course, if anyone wants to have a go at updating it to work with current dCore-*.gz names and sending it in it would be much appreciated.

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 12:51:43 PM »
Also if anyone can share configuration notes and a brief how to for boot loaders other than Grub legacy and Grub2 let me know. Personally would like to learn yet another boot loader but really also to help round out the dCore installation wiki. Please post to wiki or give me your notes and i will upload and format, thanks.

In the wiki I have some bits about Syslinux:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:usb_installation_test-drive
They are mostly complete but need to be put together the right way.

On my USB-installation the following works:
Code: [Select]
ui menu.c32
default dCore
timeout 45

label dCore
        menu label dCore on a stick
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-trusty
        append initrd=/boot/ub-dCore-trusty.gz waitusb=15 blacklist=pcspkr tce=LABEL="dCORE-USB" home=LABEL="dCORE-USB" opt=LABEL="dCORE-USB" host=dCstick lang="de_CH.UTF-8" desktop=openbox tz=CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3 multivt syslog showapps pause
Obviously, 'ldlinux.sys' and 'menu.c32' must be available under '/boot/'.

IMHO Syslinux is a great boot-loader for its simplicity and modularity, quite similar to Grub Legacy. So it would fit in very well.

Offline jls

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 11:52:46 AM »
The desktop param isn't needed since it's handled by the WM deb2sce.
I thought that home on a usb stick reduces the stick life considerably. Am I wrong? Maybe on recent usb it' not true?
Thanks
dCore user

Offline nitram

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 02:58:15 PM »
Thanks for the syslinux informaton sm8ps, will eventually get this into the install wiki.

Did some WM testing jls and for now will keep the desktop boot code instructions. Maybe other WM behave differently, but IceWM for example didn't work without the boot code. Example from my dCore-wily system:
- Was using flwm, sceboot.lst and /etc/sysconfig/desktop contained flwm, booted fine.
- Wanted to change to IceWM, sce-import -b icewm, removed flwm from sceboot.lst, ensured Grub did not use a desktop boot code, system only booted to CLI, 'startx' didn't work, /etc/sysconfig/desktop file disappeared! From tty, entered 'desktop=icewm' then 'startx', still failed. Had to manually create /etc/sysconfig/desktop file containing 'icewm' then 'startx' finally worked.

As above maybe some WM are set up better for this but for now i think the extra instruction step is useful to ensure new users get a properly running system with minimal frustration. FWIW the desktop boot code is also mentioned in Jason's official WM READMEs: http://www.tinycorelinux.net/dCore/x86/README/.

Regarding USB degradation, rarely use USB so can't comment. The test drive on a USB stick article (http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:usb_installation_test-drive) was written by sm8ps, he will need to clarify. The article is, however, titled 'test drive', to me implies a simple and temporary test install to give users an easy opportunity to try dCore without affecting their regular installs/drives. The article also has a section on using the -r(am) option to import extensions. May be good to include a USB wear disclaimer, will await sm8ps feedback.

Offline jls

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
icewm should work "out of the box" as you can see on the deb2sce:
http://www.tinycorelinux.net/dCore/import/icewm.deb2sce

persistent home needs a linux formatted partition, which doen't exists normally when you buy a pendrive
dCore user

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 08:21:32 AM »
Thanks for your input, Jls! In fact, I use the boot-code "desktop" for having Openbox load first; then I run LXDE on top of it as described in the wiki article "Migrating from FLWM to LXDE (dCore-trusty example)":
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:migrating_from_flwm_to_lxde#boot-code_desktop
I have not tried if this works without the boot-code but I had not been aware of the mechanism in the deb2sce-script of the window manager.  Will keep this in mind and eventually try.

I have been using USB-sticks with live-systems (always with persistent home) quite intensely for many years. Though I have not noticed any of the effects described in the early days. I did some research and remember reading that the controllers in modern USB-sticks nowadays apply better wear-leveling strategies.

I have seen several USB-sticks fail but only one of them was used as a live-system. In recent years I have always used Micro SD-cards with USB-adapters and I have seen several of the adapters(!) fail but the cards were still usable. So I would call the wear on USB-sticks a non-issue anymore.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:23:26 AM by sm8ps »

Offline nitram

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 04:24:43 AM »
A Syslinux page was created sm8ps with your information, please review and modify as desired: http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:dcore_and_syslinux. A dCore screenshot section was also created, dCore users feel free to contribute: http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:screenshots.

Offline nitram

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 01:58:35 AM »
Screenshots of all supported WM/DEs uploaded to the official screenshot page (http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:screenshots). Xfce4 runs great BTW. The only two outstanding are LXDE (active bug report) and Gnome. Hopefully LXDE will be added shortly.

If someone has the horsepower to load Gnome and post an official screenshot, much appreciated. Gnome does not yet have an offical README (http://tinycorelinux.net/dCore/x86/README/). Whoever gets it running please submit a README to Jason. There are ~3 other WM READMEs missing, i will submit those later this week.

No door crashers for user contributed screenshots and scripts, if someone would like to submit that would be great, thanks.