WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Install PHP 5.6 and/or PHP 7.0?  (Read 6349 times)

Offline mikeschinkel

Install PHP 5.6 and/or PHP 7.0?
« on: April 29, 2016, 09:03:34 PM »
I'm new to TCL and researching it to see if it can meet our needs and am trying to learn how it works.  I've spent a couple hours now searching for answers and can't figure this part out yet.

So it seems that I can install PHP 5.3.x with tcl-load but I cannot figure out how to install newer versions of PHP, such as  PHP 5.6 or PHP 7.0?  How would I do that?

Thank you in advance fro any help.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Install PHP 5.6 and/or PHP 7.0?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:20:45 AM »
php-7.0.5 is available in the corepure64 repo.

You could send the php5 maintainer a pm to request an update or compile a new version yourself and submit and extension to the repo.

Offline mikeschinkel

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:37:32 AM »
Thank you. 

Unfortunately I am so new to TCL that I am not sure what do my next steps would be related to:

• "the corepure64 repo" - I don't know about how to work with this.
  • "compile a new version yourself" - I have no idea how to do this on TCL.

Do you have nny example links you could provide where I could read about those things?  I googled and came up short...

Thank you again.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:36:56 AM »
corepure64 is the 64-bit version of tinycore, you just need to install it.

If you already have the 32-bit version installed, it's a matter of copying the distribution files corepure64.gz and vmlinuz64 to the same place as core.gz and vmlinuz, adding a new boot entry to your boot loader and adding the boot code "tce=tce64" or similar to keep the extensions separate.

Note that, as mentioned, you can send a pm to the 32-bit php5 maintainer and request an update.

Offline mikeschinkel

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the answer.

Hmm.  I think I may be in over my head on this.  That is still not clear enough for me to grok it.

I may have to give up and just stick with Ubuntu.

Offline NewUser

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:03:16 PM »
If you are thinking of giving up on TC, just get CorePure64 and install it the same as you did Tiny Core.  Then install PHP the same as you looked for it in TinyCore.  EasyPeasy.

Offline mikeschinkel

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:26:42 PM »
If you are thinking of giving up on TC, just get CorePure64 and install it the same as you did Tiny Core.  Then install PHP the same as you looked for it in TinyCore.  EasyPeasy.

I wish it were EasyPeasy. I have not installed TinyCore yet so I can't do the same with CorePure64.

I was able to pull down this[1] down and get it running since I use Vagrant and that is what I want to build, a custom Vagrant box.  But the Packer script for that is pretty overwhelming at this point, and my goal would be to install a a LEMP stack + Redis on a TCL 7.0 base.

I was really hoping for some step-by-step tutorials like [2] but I guess nobody has written any for TCL?   I will need something that specific to be able to get success because I am somewhat of a Linux newbie.

[1]https://github.com/hyamamoto/virtual-core
[2] http://www.tecmint.com/install-nginx-php-mysql-with-mariadb-engine-and-phpmyadmin-in-arch-linux/

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 05:57:47 AM »
You could read the tinycore book, FAQ and wiki...