WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Frugal install? Partitioning and full install?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline rabbish

Frugal install? Partitioning and full install?
« on: April 27, 2016, 08:59:23 PM »
Hi, I'm new to TC and have read about installing in corebook.pdf, but can't be sure I could understand correctly.

my questions are :
1. How does the frugal install work?
  1-1. I should defrag C:, D:, (etc.) drive before frugal install?
  1-2. By doing frugal isntall into a drive, ALL data that is in there originally will be deleted? ( I assume they won't be)
    1-2-1. Can I still boot win OS after TC was installed?  Specially, in case frugally installed into C: drive. 
             -->  Can I do dual boot of TC and win OS?
2. Is it worth to make a partition for TC and full install it into the new partition? (partitioning + full)
  2-1. The size of the partion is not important?   
3. Or, is it worth to make a partition and then frugal install into there? (partitioning + frugal)

I did backup important data but can't do mistake!
Please answer at least to 1-2-1! and if you could, to more.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Frugal install? Partitioning and full install?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:23:49 AM »
I take it that you want to use tc-install from the CorePlus iso to install tinycore?

If so, there are two choices:

* wipe the entire hard drive and install - I guess you don't want to do that.
* install to a partition - this will allow tinycore to coexist with windows.

If I recall correctly, the "install to a partition" option will also wipe all data from the partition in question.

You can dual boot windows and linux, but I believe you will need to manually adjust the boot loader to achieve this.

There is no need to defrag anything.

Offline rabbish

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:51:19 AM »
Hi, Juanito. thanks for your reply.
I thought I could install TC into HDD from USB-booted TC... seems what you said is the way I'll take.
And the both choices you suggest is not fit to my thoughts...
So, you are saying that I must make new partition for TC if I don't want to lost any data currently is in HDD?

I understood about dual booting and defragging. also these two question is actually not related to TC, I think.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 01:01:54 AM »
It all depends on whether you are using the tc-install tool or not.

If you are not using the tc-install tool and are doing things manually, then you have a lot more choice.

You could, for example, shrink your windows partition and create a new partition in the freed up space in which to install tinycore.

If you have an existing linux partition, you could install into that without losing data.

You could (I believe) also install tinycore in your windows partition without losing any data, but this is not optimal and would require some forum research and googling.

Offline rabbish

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:11:24 AM »
I could find how to partition and have installed TC.
After knowing how the partitioning for Linux means, my question sounds meaningless...

What I can say now for beginners than me is that making partition is must-task.
But partitioning is a bit risky, search how to do carefully unless the one you're going to install TC is a totally junk for you.