WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: No Opti Firestar support in Tiny Core  (Read 1715 times)

Offline JackBee

No Opti Firestar support in Tiny Core
« on: April 19, 2016, 08:33:49 PM »
(please don't bash me on the forums, this is my first post.)

I have a Compaq Presario 1260 with this HD controller (Opti Firestar). Pretty much TCE is unusable because the shipping kernel configuration does not enable support for this device, therefore fdisk does not list my drives. Is it possible you can insert support for this device in the future?

I tried to compile my own custom kernel with support for the Firestar and put it along with the install iso too, but it froze with no message and simply rebooted. Which was considerably odd since the kernel worked in QEMU. Setting verbosity to 7 did not help.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: No Opti Firestar support in Tiny Core
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 12:29:11 AM »
We'd need to know the actual chip name and id, "Opti Firestar" is a marketing name that could be anything. Please boot a live cd, install pci-utils, and post the "lspci -nn" output.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline JackBee

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 07:26:25 PM »
No output is needed; pata_optidma is the kernel driver that supports my Firestar chip. If you can enable that driver for future kernels, that would be great. I used it in a minimal kernel with that driver enabled in settings and it detected my hard drive.

However, if you still need output for purposes, feel free to ask.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:27:27 AM »
PATA_OPTIDMA is marked as "Very Experimental" even in today's git. In general, we don't enable those drivers that have risk of losing user data - running a custom kernel is fine, but it will be clear we don't support it.

Do you need help in running a custom kernel, or did you solve your freezing problem?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.