WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: WLAN rtl8723BS SDIO not detected?  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Michnix

WLAN rtl8723BS SDIO not detected?
« on: February 16, 2016, 02:39:23 AM »
I work with Tinycore since 2014, it is very fast, lightweight and stable. Now I got a new Netbook, based on Bay Trail technology. I'm able to boot from USB stick over EFI and start the version CorePure64-6.4.1 (thanks to this Forum!). I've tried to get a connection over WLAN/BT - not possible, dmsg shows that the hardware is not present.

Inside is a Realtek rtl8723BS SDIO adapter for WLAN and BT, additional a SD-Microcard reader. I load some firmware (firmware-intel.tcz and firmware-libertas.tcz) without results.
Is there a way to get this WLAN card online?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: WLAN rtl8723BS SDIO not detected?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 02:48:00 AM »
Google says there is no driver for it in the Linux kernel yet. There's a third-party driver here:
https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs

That may require compiling your own kernel in addition to compiling it itself, as the page mentions kernel patches.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Michnix

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:01:53 AM »
Thank you for the fast answer curaga!
I never compiled a new kernel till now... this can take any time  ;)
But I post the results here.

Tips & Hints are welcome...

Offline Michnix

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 01:34:35 AM »
Short update:

the driver needs kernel version 3.19 or higher. Version 3.18 can't be patched and 'make rtl8723bs-master' not possible. I've tried to use kernel 4.1. Kernel patches can be installed and the system boot up normal but get error from tc-config script that modprobe can't change directory?
Probably my fault, I'll try again next week. Some user/usergroups are changed in this kernel...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 02:47:31 AM »
Why not move to 7.x? It comes with a 4.2 kernel.

The modprobe error means you didn't install the modules of that kernel properly.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Michnix

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 01:15:24 AM »
"...The modprobe error means you didn't install the modules of that kernel properly..." - yes, I forgot to update the modules in "/lib/modules/..." in the gz file. Thank you for the hint! Running now fine with kernel 4.4.1, I learned many things about Linux boot and it was a lot stuff to read.

I want to test it further with kernel 4.2 because some tcz files needs to be changed if there used wrong filenames (eg. wireless-3.16.1-tinycore.tcz to wireless-4.4.1-tinycore.tcz). It's easier to use existing files  :)

Great thanks to curaga and to this forum, this case can be closed successful.