WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCorePure64 'user=vlekk' issue with hackedbox wm. (Plus random bits.)  (Read 4138 times)

Offline vlekk

• Grifball isn't everything, it's the only thing!
    • All your base are belong to us.
First of all sorry for the lengthy post!  :o

Secondly, for the record, I have downloaded the CoreBook and read it in its entirety (as well as returned numerous times to search for specific things).  I've also reviewed the FAQ, read many pages from the Wiki and searched/read from the Forums as I became curious about certain aspects or become stuck on other things.  So please send all RTFM replies to /dev/null!  8)

I really wanted to use 64bit TCL over 32bit TCL but being that I only have wireless as an option it took me some trial and error to get things working.

I grabbed TinyCorePure64-6.4.1.iso and CorePlus-6.4.1.iso so that I could play around with what worked and what didn't (limitations due to old hardware as well as only wireless) in 32bit first, then proceed to configure and use the 64bit version.

With my old hardware it seemed that hackedbox.tcz worked much more smooth than flwm.tcz so on the 64bit version I removed flwm.tcz, added hackedbox.tcz and its additional dependency: Xorg-7.7-lib.tcz (it already contained Xprogs.tcz and fltk-1.3.tcz) from the 64bit repository.

After playing around a bit I found that the WiFi only option in the CorePlus ISO allowed me to connect just fine via wireless.

I located its .dep file and "recursed" these to find, in the end, I needed the following.

• libiw.tcz
  • libiw.tcz.md5.txt
  • libnl.tcz
  • libnl.tcz.md5.txt
  • openssl.tcz
  • openssl.tcz.md5.txt
  • wifi.tcz
  • wifi.tcz.md5.txt
  • wireless-3.16.6-tinycore64.tcz
  • wireless-3.16.6-tinycore64.tcz.md5.txt
  • wireless_tools.tcz
  • wireless_tools.tcz.md5.txt
  • wpa_supplicant.tcz
  • wpa_supplicant.tcz.md5.txt

Up to this point I saw what I had done and thought it was good.  ;)

Further tweaking through many, many, many reboots and I felt I was ready to finally start utilizing backup and restore but this is where I found a bug or have simply missed something.

Using the default user 'tc' the hackedbox menu shows up normally when right-clicking on the Desktop but when I added the boot-code: 'user=vlekk' the only thing that shows up on a right-click is "xterm" "Restart" and "Exit".  :-\

Any help in pointing me in the right direction on how to fix this would be much appreciated!

Here is the relevent information from my syslinux.cfg file in the event I have caused my own headache:

Code: [Select]
LABEL 64bit-tcl
MENU LABEL TinyCore 64bit with hackedbox.
KERNEL tinycore64/vmlinuz64
APPEND initrd=tinycore64/corepure64.gz loglevel=3 showapps video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3 vga=792 tz=PST+8PDT,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2 waitusb=5:UUID=C5F4-CA63 user=vlekk secure protect

While I'm here I was hoping someone could tell me if I have the whole "onboot.lst", "copy2fs.lst" and "copy2fs.flg" down ...

As I understand it the "onboot.lst" simply tells the system what to load, and leave mounted, upon system start while the "copy2fs.lst" further instructs the system what to copy to ram and unmount upon system start ("copy2fs.flg" means that everything should be copied to ram and unmounted).  I feel confused about this especially after looking at the TinyCorePure64-6.4.1.iso's "onboot.lst", "xbase.lst" and "copy2fs.lst" as they all have the same things listed (and "xbase.lst" doesn't seem to be called from the boot menu at all) ...   ???  I also have further confussion as after booting from either ISO the "OnBoot Uneeded" report shows all the depends don't need to be "OnBoot" ...

At any rate I'll wrap this up now ... if you've made it this far, thank you for your time!

Edit:
Forgot to ask: Why no xvesa for 64bit?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:44:15 PM by vlekk »
I was the Harriet Tubman of the Underground Statpadding Railroad.
--NOPLEX

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: TinyCorePure64 'user=vlekk' issue with hackedbox wm. (Plus random bits.)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:32:15 PM »
I'd guess that the hackedbox startup script sets things up for user=tc specifically.

What does /usr/local/tce.installed/hackedbox contain?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:14:13 AM »
Hackedbox.initmenu reads /etc/sysconfig/tcuser to set system direectory

USER="$(cat /etc/sysconfig/tcuser)"
SYSDIR=/home/"$USER"/.hackedbox

but what happens after that will need more investigation...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 02:35:26 AM »
Forgot to ask: Why no xvesa for 64bit?

It's not possible to execute VESA bios calls in 64-bit mode. Xorg's vesa driver has an emulator, so it is able to do it nowadays.

Also, your understanding of the lists is correct. The ISOs just have a different setup you'd usually have.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 07:03:58 AM »
Hi vlekk
Welcome to the forum.
I also have further confussion as after booting from either ISO the "OnBoot Uneeded" report shows all the depends don't need to be "OnBoot" ...
Dependencies are resolved as the extensions are loaded so there's no reason to list them in  onboot.lst.

Offline vlekk

• Grifball isn't everything, it's the only thing!
    • All your base are belong to us.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 02:26:23 PM »
@Juanito
@coreplayer2
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

@curaga
@Rich
Thank you for confirming/clearing up the "random bits" stuff!

After perusing the various configuration files within hackedbox.tcz it seems that /etc/skel/.hackedbox/rc is the culprit.  Line 18 reads:
session.menuFile: /home/tc/.hackedbox/menuI believe it should read:
session.menuFile: /home/"$USER"/.hackedbox/menu
I'm confident that I will be able to fix my own system but am unsure on what else (I'm guessing nothing further) to do in order to get the extension in the repo fixed ... just thought to look before hitting submit and the 32bit version of hackedbox.tcz also has "tc" instead of "$USER".

8)
I was the Harriet Tubman of the Underground Statpadding Railroad.
--NOPLEX