WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Rtl8723au wireless driver  (Read 2328 times)

Offline dougjd79

Rtl8723au wireless driver
« on: February 04, 2016, 06:55:48 PM »
I have been troubleshooting network issues on my Lenovo Yoga13.  It appears that my Rtl8723au wireless card is not currently supported in TC.  Many of the other distros I have been checking out support it, but the driver is still in "staging" (the driver is provided, but kept separate from where all the other standard drivers are normally installed).  The specific driver is named "r8723au.ko" in those distros, and I have no problems with it in the other installations I am currently multibooting.

From looking at the wireless related TCZs, it looks like TC includes all the wireless drivers that are considered "standard", but this is just a guess.

Q's:
- Have I overlooked a package that includes this driver?
- If so, how can I download it (via a different OS with working wireless) and install it manually, since using the normal package installer does not appear to be an option for this case?
- If the driver is not available for TC at this time, are there any FAQs or other info I can reference to attempt to pull the driver from somewhere else (or build it from scratch), and package it for use on my machine?

From what I have tried out so far, I think TinyCore is pretty awesome, and is definately a distro I intend on keeping installed alongside my other OSs.  Specifically, I want to keep it installed as an ultra-lightweight, but highly functional (including internet browsing/troubleshooting/downloading) rescue environment, so simply running in a VM does not suit my purposes.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Rtl8723au wireless driver
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 09:53:20 PM »
Have I overlooked a package that includes this driver?
If you used the "provides" function of the apps gui to search the contents of the extensions for "r8723au.ko" and it didn't come up with anything, then no.

If the driver is not available for TC at this time, are there any FAQs or other info I can reference to attempt to pull the driver from somewhere else (or build it from scratch), and package it for use on my machine?
I didn't check, but if the driver is in staging, you could probably use the tinycore patched kernel source to compile the driver by modifying the tinycore config or compiling the driver directly.

Edit: If you load the tinycore kernel config, you can enable the compilation of your driver with:

make menuconfig -> device drivers -> staging drivers -> realtek rtl8723au -> m

Code: [Select]
$ modinfo /usr/src/linux-4.2.9/drivers/staging/rtl8723au/r8723au.ko.gz
version:        v4.1.6_7336.20130426
depends:        cfg80211
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_B_NoBT.bin
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_B.bin
firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8723aufw_A.bin
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:22:21 AM by Juanito »