WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: unable to switch from Xorg to TTY using Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: unable to switch from Xorg to TTY using Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 08:22:20 AM »
With dCore-jessie, all works here, boot "multivt text" and boots to text and I can switch from an X desktop to login terminals with the vt switching.

One thing, are you backing up your ~/.profile or have persistent home?  That file is where conditions are checked to startx on login or not.

Offline nitram

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 12:13:30 PM »
Thanks for the tip. No wonder, my local .profile never got the *fix*. Copied /etc/skel/.profile to /home/tc and now 'text' bootcode works as expected, thanks. Also tested 'multivt' and it provides multiple TTYs. And of course booting with 'text multivt' boots into text, can startx then later switch to numerous TTYs.

Just one more clarification. Without using any 'text' or 'multivt' bootcode (regular boot), are you able to boot into graphics then Ctrl-Alt-F2 to TTY?

On my dCore this doesn't work, requiring 'multivt'. On my TC6, it provides a single TTY so i never need to bother with 'multivt'. I tried playing with /etc/inittab but was unable to 'unlock' an extra TTY without 'multivt'.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
I remember Robert would mention when making RCs or releases something like "changes that might affect your backup file", that is /home and /opt in particular, I will try to do the same. 

Are you saying that multivt capability is available in Core without the multivt boot code and with one tty?   Or are you able to unock them after boot?  dCore and Core share the exact /etc/inittab.  Since without multivt multiple vts are not supposed to work, so it is more of a curiosity.

Offline nitram

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
I remember Robert would mention when making RCs or releases something like "changes that might affect your backup file", that is /home and /opt in particular, I will try to do the same. 
Thanks, probably would have saved me a couple hours of frustration. I'm not so advanced, so it's not automatic to me which files were changed to fix bugs.

Are you saying that multivt capability is available in Core without the multivt boot code and with one tty?   Or are you able to unock them after boot?  dCore and Core share the exact /etc/inittab.  Since without multivt multiple vts are not supposed to work, so it is more of a curiosity.
Yes that's what i'm saying, TC6 and dCore don't behave the same way. I don't mess with my .profile or inittab so AFAIK this is default TC6 behaviour. Booting TC6 without multivt bootcode, Fluxbox starts then pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 gets me to TTY. Toggling Ctrl-Alt-F2 gets me back to Fluxbox...no multivt required. Not sure why dCore doesn't behave the same way, it's kinda handy to have around. Most users don't require 6 TTYs, but the one is nice for graphic escape. Maybe another TC user could confirm this behaviour. I have another TC6 install on a netbook but it's not available ATM.

My TC6 boot (same hardware) that provides one TTY in addition to Xorg/Fluxbox:
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ version
6.4.1rc1
tc@box:~$ showbootcodes
BOOT_IMAGE=/tinycore/boot/vmlinuz nozswap showapps tce=sdb3

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »
This is the first time in a long time if any I made changes to a file that will wind up in the home directory.   Believe me, I understand the concept of hours of frustration.  And though dCore is Tinycore, there are differences in package behavior.   I will boot with Core6 and try to see what you are talking about. 

In the past, it was recommended that "base norestore" was used when testing, but I am not going to ask that.  I will simply give notice if anything in /etc/skel , ie /home, is changed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:52:33 PM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 03:33:29 PM »
What I see in core6 with no multivt boot code is if I press CTRL-ALT-F1 then I see a black screen with no prompt, and pressing CTRL-ALT-F2 brings back the desktop.  In dCore what I see without the multivt boot code is if you press CTRL-ALT-F2 or F3 or whatever you get a black screen with no prompt, and CTRL-ALT-F1 brings it back.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 05:40:51 PM »
Hi Jason W
This is the first time in a long time if any I made changes to a file that will wind up in the home directory.
Not to quibble, but this doesn't seem to be that long ago:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,19303.msg118922.html#msg118922

Offline nitram

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »
Just comparing on my other TC6 install, this one boots Xvesa with JWM, the other Xorg with Fluxbox. On this install i am also able to Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a TTY, actually need to press Enter key to clear Xorg gibberish then get prompt. Ctrl-Alt-F2 returns to graphics. Pretty sure none of these systems were tweaked in this regard.

When i run  tty  from Ctrl-Alt-F1 TTY i get  /dev/tty1. Learned the command  su openvt  , which opens yet another virtual terminal on-the-fly. So now Ctrl-Alt-F3 changes to a new TTY and when i run  tty  get  /dev/tty3. So my guess is Xvesa is running in TTY2? My limited understanding can only, therefore, conclude that my TC6 installs boot by default (no multi boot code) with two vt.

Anywho...just wanted to report findings. Yes i understand there will definitely be differences between TC and dCore, even in base functionality. Just interesting. Also nice to learn the new  openvt  command for myself. The text boot issue is resolved, multivt works well, now i know how to easily add another vt on the go, thanks.

[edit] now unable to repeat openvt , will need to keep playing around.
[edit2] appears to work well, opens new vt as tc: sudo openvt su tc
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=12506.0
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:23:47 PM by nitram »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 09:17:58 PM »
Rich - I guess I would have been more accurate to say I have only made changes to home dir files once over a period of a long time, rather than it has been a long time.  lol  I forgot that patch to .profile was applied in Dec, seemed like longer.  Usually time flies, but evidently not in this case.