Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

Newbie Broadcom Wifi Driver Question

(1/4) > >>

chke419:
First off I am new to linux but have tried out other live distro's prior to TC 64 bit so I just imagined it would be similar to the others. I put the CD in, direct connected it to the internet and tried to get the wireless working. I opened up Apps and searched for Broadcom for the driver and it gave me 3. Only one would install after 3 different attempts (firmware-broadcom_bnx2x.tcz) the other two said failed and went on to the Wifi app and nothing would show and automatically closed.

I have a Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini Card in my Dell M6400 workstation/laptop which uses a Broadcom driver.

So I guess my question would be is have I missed some steps? I know other distro's just need a driver to show a list of local networks.

Juanito:
You need to use the "lspci" command from the pci-utils extension to check exactly what broadcom hardware you have in your wifi adapter.

After that you will most probably need either:

the b43 driver in the wireless-KERNEL extension plus firmware that you may need to "cut" yourself.

or

the wl-modules-KERNEL extension, which contains firmware.

coreplayer2:
Hi chke419

I believe that wireless card has a BCM4312 chip so I think chke419 will need 

wifi.tcz
wl-modules-4.2.9-tinycore.tcz  extensions installed

the info file explains that you should blacklist  b43,bcma and ssb modules.  To accomplish this add

blacklist=bcma,ssb,b43 to your boot config command line

eg:
--- Code: ---KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/rootfs.gz,/boot/modules.gz loglevel=3 waitusb=5:UUID="E49A-EE91" blacklist=bcma,ssb,b43

--- End code ---

chke419:

--- Quote from: coreplayer2 on January 29, 2016, 01:41:30 PM ---
I believe that wireless card has a BCM4312 chip so I think chke419 will need 

--- End quote ---

Yes after lspci in terminal it did show the Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11 b/g LP-PHY (rev01)

So I went back into Apps and tried to (onboot) install wifi.tcz and it also failed.

chke419:
Ok, now I have installed

wifi.tcz
wl-modules-3.16.6-tinycore64.tcz  (did not list the 4.2.9 version in Apps)

Where in the world do I find the " boot config command line" ? Remember I'm very much a newbie. :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version