Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

90% though install onto hard disk but....

(1/4) > >>

Tim036:
it did not want to 'Backup' automatically so I went to control panel and tried to use 'backup/restore'

The window had a header:-

Backup Restore and list Maintenance

then a response box called Device:  opens

what should I put in it.....   (Installed onto sda  I think, I formatted it to ext4  )

A puzzled,

Tim

coreplayer2:
Hello Tim036

Backup and Restore manages the backup lists filetool.lst and xfiletool.lst
see http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:backup

iirc the command line tool " filetool.sh -b " will create a backup file where one doesn't exist already

If you've installed to a HDD then you might choose to make opt and home persistent, which to me is preferable to a backup but it's your preference..  depends on how you configure your system.   see here http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:start#persistence

Tim036:
Many thanks for quick response...

I'll view those links.

Thanks again,

:) :) :)

Tim

Tim036:
Well, I'm struggling to understand how to do the tasks that are easy the second time !  *LOL*

The info seemed to say 'this' is possible but without saying how.   I think Tiny Core is brilliant !  And by trying to get it working on different very old laptops I'm learning. 

Maybe its just a jargon thing, or that I'm a bit dim.  Perhaps I just make the same mistake each time I try and install onto the Hard Disk.

I find tc-install.tcz in the Application / icloud/ browse as a starting place, selection 3 down from ON Boot option.  And all goes well following pages 11 to 17, but it doesn't always do as this guide suggests.

Maybe because its overwriting Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit and so I've just wiped that by putting XP onto the hard disc.

I'll try again. in an hour and see if I can meet with success.

Many thanks for every ones patience with me.

Tim

Misalf:

--- Quote from: Tim036 on January 28, 2016, 11:53:15 AM ---it did not want to 'Backup' automatically so I [...]

--- End quote ---

edit your  ~/.profile  file and change

--- Code: ---export BACKUP=1

--- End code ---
to

--- Code: ---export BACKUP=0

--- End code ---

Then do  filestool.sh -b  and after next reboot, it won't backup automatically on exit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version