WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How do I fix the graphics in tinycore?  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Cecil

How do I fix the graphics in tinycore?
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:42:21 PM »
When Tinycore boots the color is off and the graphics look very pixelated and off in some spots. I tried to load puppy Linux too and where words should be there were just random symbols. I checked the monitor out on a different computer and it worked fine. Could there be a problem with the graphics card or maybe a driver issue? I could not figure out how to change color depth and resolution on tinycore to see if tweaking these settings could fix the issue. It is on an old outdated Dell computer that I am trying to restore for an old man. Any help would greatly be appreciated and I'll upload a picture of how my screen looks.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 05:01:21 PM by Rich »

Offline NewUser

Re: How do I fix the graphics in tinycore?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:46:41 PM »
That looks like a hardware problem, sometimes as simple as a loose/dirty connection, sometimes a bad cable, sometimes worse.  But I don't think it's a Tinycore problem.

Offline nitram

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »
If it's happening in both Tiny Core and Puppy Linux then agree probably hardware related, as NewUser indicated. Physically disconnect then reconnect cables to get fresh connection. Also unseat and reseat your graphics card after unplugging system and grounding self. Reboot and test.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 03:06:13 AM »
The "old Dell" would point to the usual Intel + bad Dell bios problem. If your system has an integrated Intel gpu, then you need to install Xorg and xf86-video-intel (in a text mode, inside X it can corrupt the session due to loading a different graphics driver at the same time).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 03:08:50 AM »
..and it's also worth checking if there's a bios update on the dell site.

Offline Cecil

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:37:50 PM »
The "old Dell" would point to the usual Intel + bad Dell bios problem. If your system has an integrated Intel gpu, then you need to install Xorg and xf86-video-intel (in a text mode, inside X it can corrupt the session due to loading a different graphics driver at the same time).

Wow this actually fixed my problem!! Thank you so very much! You know your stuff!!!