WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how do I get my intergrated intel sound card to function?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline leon8200

how do I get my intergrated intel sound card to function?
« on: January 15, 2016, 01:42:58 PM »
My pc is a 2006 IBM lenovo thinkcentre-A52, alsamixer say's it's an intel ICH7, but it might be something like (AC'97) Audio, sorry I just don't know and have spent over 3 hour's of my time trying to find out

Offline coreplayer2

Re: how do I get my intergrated intel sound card to function?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »
Hi Leon8200

load up alsamixer  then hit F6 key to select your desired sound card, always select then hit enter  (if you have more than one we'll get to that later).

Then check the function of all the slider volume controls set then say at 50%, see if any are muted especially the Master volume (indicated by " MM " in the box beneath the volume slider).  Use the arrow keys to select a control then the " m " key to unmute any which indicate " MM "  which should change to 00.  The arrow keys may bring into view any controls which are off screen (out of sight usually to the right of the window).

move the sliders up a little until you can hear music (assuming you're playing something)  A word of caution, never select 100% volume on any control, I've heard of damage to the hardware or your ear's can occur :p

This is a most basic method, but is good to get things started

How we doing now?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 02:59:18 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:23:12 PM »
alsamixer say's it's an intel ICH7, but it might be something like (AC'97) Audio

Did you try "aplay -l"?

Offline leon8200

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:10:44 PM »
I tried everything I still have no sound

Offline Misalf

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »
Try loading  alsa-config.tcz  on-boot.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »
Hi leon8200
Did you try "aplay -l"?
I tried everything I still have no sound
No one will know what "tried everything" entails. You need to work on your communication skills. If you open a terminal
and enter:
Code: [Select]
aplay -lit should list the audio devices found in you system. Since your screen is not visible from this forum, you might want
to consider posting the output of the command. To copy and paste from a terminal, see:
http://tinycorelinux.net/faq.html#c_p

Saying "it doesn't work" or "there was some kind of error" is not useful information. Telling us exactly what actions
you took, exactly what commands you entered, and exactly what response you got is useful information.