Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

Browsers & resources: hw or sw issue?

(1/3) > >>

rhodius:
Hey y'all, using the available browsers from the repository, namely Chromium and Minefield21, will at some point consume huge amounts of memory and cpu according to top. My otherwise snappy and efficient TC box becomes slow and clunky when I'm browsing. TC stats sees my 1gig of Ram and my 2.8Ghz pentium cpu. Also, I have what is supposed to be a very fast cable dsl connection. I hope the above info is sufficient for my question to be considered as legit.

My question is this: does it sound like a problem with my hardware resources, or are the browsers such hogs that they snarl my otherwise speedy experience of TC? The briefest of indications as to where to look for the problem will be greatly appreciated.

coreplayer2:
Anything wrong with using the latest firefox instead of those outdated browsers you've listed?

rhodius:
Well, I have political issues with firefox, but we won't get into that here  :-X I suppose I could drop my boycott long enough to see if it makes an improvement, which I did with minefield. Will I find more current firefox in the repository that i go to (http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/) when I open Apps? I don't recall seeing it there. Correction: I now see that you have packaged a firefox-ESR.tcz and firefox_getLatest.tcz. Version 38.x is fairly current, I'm sure; I'll try it.

Yeah, your top capture looks very different from the output I get right now. Thanks so much for your suggestion.

coreplayer2:
I'd use firefox_getLatest once a month to ensure you keep up with the latest if Firefox works for you

If you frequent YouTube or Pandora  often then I'd do the same with getFlash11   But know that flash needs more recourses that you wound think

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juanito:

--- Quote from: rhodius on January 08, 2016, 10:03:01 AM ---...namely Chromium and Minefield21, will at some point consume huge amounts of memory and cpu according to top.

--- End quote ---

Apart from firefox, did you try using the fifth browser?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version