Author Topic: chrome  (Read 2732 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
chrome
« on: December 21, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »
Hello there forum,

After using Chrome browser (and during) i realize that even when you are not
surfing web pages my network traffic monitor shows that Chrome is passing Data
down my connection all the time. (no matter what)

I expect this data flow is "background services" etc. Does anybody know how
to dissable all of this activity?....i only want the browser to simply load web
pages then stops passing data.

V

Offline nitram

Re: chrome
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 03:47:03 PM »
Not a Chrome user, try one of their forums. Me thinks most browsers, especially the heavier ones, have some background network activity to maintain connections, pre-load links, check for updates, etc. Query whether it uses similar 'hidden' settings, like Firefox's about:config, to kill some of this activity.

Personally i wouldn't trust a browser with lots of background network activity, unless able to trace the source and enable/disable at will. Guessing you've already ruled out javascript on previously loaded tabs and similar. So you're seeing network activity even with only one empty tab? And you haven't enabled any syncing activity, similar to Firefox sync?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 06:37:11 AM »
Don't login to a google account.
If yopu do, it will be syncing bookmarks in the background.

Offline hiro

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 11:03:43 AM »
chrome nearly has reached facebook-level telemetry behavior. soon they'll have your brain waves all scanned :(

Offline nitram

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 04:36:40 PM »
Can't speak from experience as i avoid most of Google, it is no secret they generate a lot of cashflow through the analysis of user data. Hiro, i will ask Santa to send you a shiny new tinfoil hat this Christmas ;) Take care.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 04:55:20 AM »
Hello,

Right.  Hiro....

Chrome gets more heavy every week.

Google  it seems, are not alone, in the fact that they are always trying to impose further lockdowns. They dribble feed these lockdowns into previously"uncapped free services". 

For example, even doing
a simple google document recently, i wasn't allowed to cut and paste (or other rudimentary features)
unless i was also partnered up with their  supposed free "google drive service".

It can start to become ineffective for getting simple computing IT tasks done.
(Am i telling the big G how to run itself).....nope, i will just go elsewhere.

As for Chrome, it's pretty simple to stop the background data which is passes. You may often find that employing some free extensions will completely streamline Chrome.  Such as compression proxy's
and other extensions.

Chrome is a number one product (When there isn't any alternative) but we have others clipping the heels. Vivaldi.

I use Slimjet which is pretty nice. It's a slightly dressed down version of Chrome with annoyances removed. (free)

V

best wishes

Offline hiro

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 10:57:42 AM »
and google is being used even if you don't have chrome or any google product. your friends with android smartphones that synced their contacts to the google server probably already delivered a bunch of data about you. and if you go on any typical ad-driven web site there's a high chance it will be using google's ad network.
there's really no way, just like the NSA is anyways hooked in to all your big backbones.
forget it.
google is just application layer NSA.
NSA tries to get the same amount of intel from analyzing the data path as deep as possible, but they don't work as efficient, cause they never specialized on application layer like google :)
i don't think me being annoyed about or avoiding google is gonna change anything, theres no escape unless you stop using the web.
they control web standards, too, as you might all remember. and they're getting worse and worse, more and more complex, and in the end the actual thing used by the end-user is so .ing useless in comparison to what was done 10 years ago already.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 06:37:24 AM »
indeed hiro....the games these tech corporations are involved in are unreal..

on an unrelated topic i had to deal with TELCO companies recently....they are in exactly the same game of selling
you a product that is nothing like what you "thought" you paid for. Same as how google are doing illicit things behind your back that you have no knowledge of. (Sharing your info)

I purchased a monthly DSL service. It came and it's pretty fast compared to my earlier DSL competitor...however what the new dsl supplier neglected to tell me is that my DSL bandwidth on copper wire is SHARED with passers by in the street over a "pooling type principle on WI FI"...

incredible that they could Fraudulently sell me a product in this way. I'ts a giant UK telco.

What's basically happening is the DSL SIGNAL i paid for per month (the copper bandwidth)....is  pickpocketed from my copper line if i am not using "all the bandwidth" and beamed out into the street for passes by to purchase at a HUGE cost just so they can get web connection (wi fi)...so the telco pickpocket  MY BANDWIDTH which i already paid them for.... and then sell it AGAIN at a much higher price to passers by.

THe Telco then tried to gazump my thinking process by saying (oh sir.... we are also giving YOU free unlimited wi-fi hotspots acces from your tablet to city hotspots all year round)......that's TRUE...... and that is what was in their advert when i purchased my copper wire  DSL product from that advert.  (free umlimited WI FI too) "the deal"

But their advert was otherwise lies.  The advert should have said  "DSL broadband per month (on a shared contention approach) and also YOU get free unlimited WI FI access to Hotspots in 14 million places in europe).

They neglected to mention that a product they already SOLD to me, they then pickpocket some of it back off me...... from under my nose ....and sell it to passers by in the street at a HUGE price.

unreal.

"Oh sir, the bandwidth sharing pool is intelligent and it will never affect the speed of your copper broadband performance"....
utter rubbish
I have a degree in telco's and that is utter rubbish.

There are many examples where the "pickpocketing of  bandwidth" will affect your wired broadband performance.

For example, when downloading a file that a company is supplying up to the web at T1 speeds.... then my copper line would try to gobble up that download at my "MAX supported line speed"........but minus what JOHN SMITH down the block is sucking from my bandwidth.....(and many other John's or people who are sucking my bandwidth)

The telco lied to me. They sold me a product which is something ELSE from what they described that product to be to me.

i have yet to deal with them. Its not complex other than the fact that this is pandemic and missunderstood by 90 percent of wired dsl customers. Those consumers don't even KNOW that the services they paid for are pickpocketed (degrading their own savings) then sold on elsewhere at huge extra profit for the telco.

The way the telco do it is with a business model. For example hiro....the telco will say  "we have 100 dsl customers".....Some are business customers......... some residents and citizens.

78 residents
22 business.

(a) The 22 business guys purhased "unlimited monthly DSL" from us cheap.....why cheap?....because those business-guys AGREED to beam out
some of their  "unlimited bandwidth" into the street for sale or for DSL people like me to sniff completely free........generally, .passers by BUY that bandwidth on wi fi and connect to the web........(they pay a fortune as passers by so the TELCO in this example "a"....... are making good profit.

(b) THe other 78 residents purchased "monthly throttled DSL" from us with only 10 gigs of DATA allowed per month.......but these guys also get "free unlmited WI FI hotspots" thrown in with the deal.....(meanwhile we (the telco)  pickpocket their bandwidth at home and sell it in the street..... (as described above)

(c) the combination of (a) and (b) above.....it ensures a very profitabble "passers by" INCOME for the telco.....it's a reliable "WI FI pool of bandwidth" which they can sell onwards....

HIro, the issues arise about "How they sell it".....?

Scenario:
A percentage of people passing by my house are indeed people already like me......they purchased the same DSL deal i did and coincidentally they passed by my street and so sniffed WI FI here ( they have free unlimited  access to that wi fi)......that's great......i shared some of my pot from home.......and maybe next week when i am  in town i pass a guys HOUSE and he's similar to me with the same DSL deal.....and i sniff WI FI there.........and i can use it unlimited  for free.

but there is an auxillary "billing model" that the telco use....the telco can SELL this bandwidth at HUGE cost to the passer by who isnt on any DSL deal like me.........that passer by  just pays HUGE cost for the roaming wi fi connection per hour...

it is somewhat more contrived than that example........but generally so

V

« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 07:09:56 AM by cast-fish »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 07:19:44 AM »
you see hiro?

nothing is "free" really.........we all already paid for everything that is in that "wi fi pool" yet we were not even told we were contributing to that pool
or asked if we DID or DID NOT want to contribute......(later if you say you don't want to conribute....then the telco remove your "free unlimied wi-fi hotspots sweetener access" that you got thrown in free with your DSL deal

that  free sweetener was "inside" the DSL deal you agreed ......it was nice.......what wasn;t nice was they didn't tell you HOW sugar is made.

there are other reasons WHY somebody may not want to be "auto opted in" to the wi fi pool that they knew nothing about or about being "auto opted into it).....they may  just NOT want any wi fi signals in their room and just want to use wires........if thats the case then they  must OPT OUT of the pool and in so doing you loose
your part of the sweetener deal you signed......  "loss of your free wi fi hotspots access.... when you are out and about in the city with a tablet)

V
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 07:22:17 AM by cast-fish »

Offline hiro

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 07:41:13 AM »
haha, dude.
i'd say these are seperate issues: one is just typical business behavior, the other is being part of state law sanctions and thus forced to have interfaces for lawful interception. and then there's the lawless interception that might happen anywhere that i don't know much about :)

one reason they can do money with their shitty customer wifis here in germany is because customers were dumb enough to support a government that made it nonviable for people to operate publicly accessible wifis, due to monetary threats easily enforced through the shitty legal system.

i'd imagine an other reason is that many people are incompetent to employ proper multi-queueing for qos. I disagree with you that it's not possible, because I had set such a system up a long time ago for 5 people and visitors who had to share a 10/1 Mbit DSL line.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 06:22:24 AM »
yes....hiro...i know that the qos quieng is perhaps what your referring to about how the telo share out a pool of resources intelligently.....indeed it can work extremely effectively and has almost zero impact on your copper dsl signal....but it's not actually ZERO.

There could be instances where it does affect your copper signal performance...

i found it facinating that not a single member of staff working at the telco knows anything about this subject or the product that they sell.....the incompitence is so pandemic that the telco don't even tell their own staff what they need to know to correctly sell a product...

the telco must imagine that the "sharing" idea s simply too complex to explain and nobody needs to know because it does not affect their performance but thats simply not the case...the DSL contract would have to explicitly explain that "wi fi sharing" was taking place.....(i was never told anything at all)

i understand how these sharing systems work and they are somehwat advanced and complex indeed...

anyhow i only noticed this whole story by complete accident....just one tiny sentence on a web page about my telco saying something like "if you want to opt out of wi fi"....and i thought WHY would you want to opt out of something that they had given you for FREE.....?....

the answer as to why?....that answer is indeed because of what i described above and many people simply don't want something they purchased for their home shared out to the public...(even if it never impedes their home performance)....

the telco staff have NO CLUE this system is even operating on their gear..... or any clue about what they are really selling when it comes to selling DSL contracts with free WI FI to customers.....amazing.

There are lots of issues too....i mean sharing my bandwidth with strangers in the street one would like to know that everything was completely secure and seperated and in no way related to me....but this ISNT actually the case. THe passer by who hooks into WI FI at 8 dollars an hour and uses it....the data they pass then comes off my WI FI hotspots counter for that month....(sure it's not billed to me)....but the passing of that data by an unknown stranger is STILL associated with my account...
(i don't like that at all)

i would greatly appreciate the telco explaining to me just exactly HOW this sharing poole works and what percentage of my bandwidth is pickpocketed and all about the security too....but you'd need to be with a TECH guru to get that information.

but google may help....

does any of this matter?......well i believe any product you purchased for your home and then discover is somewhat shared with the general public then becomes an issue....

i pay for water each month...how much i use....somebody (The telco in the analogy) does not then walk into my apartment while i am filling my watering-can and put their own tea cup under my flow....(thus impeding my flow) thus taking me longer to fill up....and then they also walk out with my water in their tea cup and then sell it outside on the street to some passer by at a hugely elevated price than what i paid for the water...

I know that the telco are saying "non of that matters because the flow from your tap is like niagra falls and our interventions mean nothing"....you are only using fractions of the niagra falls yourself....that's why we pickpocket some of the spare.....

but there are occassions when it WILL impede how quikly i can fill u that watering can.....

all told i just don't like how they miss-sell a product as something it's not.....if i buy denims in a store and it says LEVI 501 and then at home i discover they are fake i return them........i kind of feel somewhat similar about telcos.....

90 percent of people would NOT at all like the idea that complete strangers are gaining access to a WIRED service in their home.....random, un- policed access ......that the customer never even knew was happening to them....really

V

ye it's wierd....

Offline hiro

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 06:54:27 AM »
i can tell you that here in germany at deutsche telekom, kabeldeutschlan/vodafone and unitymedia it is indeed seperated from your account. there is some separate "secure" channel that i have no access to unless i were to hack that wifi router.

in any case, i don't think it's a big issue. customers actually want this kind of functionality sometimes and most that give out a share of their bandwidth indeed never notice. i can tell you that it works well enough in practice. normally the bigger problem is to even have a working base service. if using your wifi AP as a cash income may motivate them to keep your DSL line operational that's actually a plus for me :). Cause stuff is often unstable.

Also my DSL modem for example could negotiate a higher modulation with my DSLAM, if they decide connect me with higher speeds because I bring them more customers I would theoretically benefit cause they have more incentive in making my connection fast and cost-efficient :)

as i said, this is just a business model issue, you're just outraged cause you didn't read the fineprint of your contract properly. but if they had asked you before and you'd have gotten a share of the revenue they make via your router perhaps you would have even agreed. especially when they say that instead of 16Mbit you get 100Mbit with 16Mbit guaranteed. As people don't care and just pay them nothing will change though.

But if you're really paranoid there's an easy solution for you (who clearly is one of the few who cares): open the device and short-circuit your antenna connector by putting a bunch of solder on it. this way you don't have to understand the technology behind and still be 100% sure that nobody can share your wifi.
Then attach your own wi-fi router at the ethernet port.