WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: off topic "win32" networking  (Read 1521 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
off topic "win32" networking
« on: December 20, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »
Hello forum,

sorry to bother people since i know this forum is dedicated to Linux
and insn't an IT support service (particularly for win32)

but

could anybody clarify with me?

inside win32 there is  "your network connections" and it allows you to select 2 of your web connections,at the same time, and right click  and choose "bridge these connections".

Here at home there is a free WI FI DSL internet feed from a  hotspot in the street outside...... and also i have my regular phone line copper wire DSL feed of internet

.....both feeds show up on my laptop at the same time.

I would like to "bridge" together these 2 feeds into 1 feed since i believe this gives me the combined speed of both as one final larger internet speed. Is this correct?

So for example, the ethernet copper wire speed is 6.5 plus maybe 3.4 on the wi fi .....giving a new single bridged overall speed to the browser of 9.9

google seems to say that my thinking is correct.

why do i want to do this?...well , more speed is nice..... but the real reason
is that a higher over-all speed will allow me to easily connect to some internet
services that don't always smoothly connect over just the WI FI speed...

i believe that once the service is smoothly connected , i can then
just switch out the ethernet copper feed from the 9.9 and the service wont
know that it's gone....it will just see a slower WI FI speed become the norm at 3.4 speed.

In other words...the web browser and the page delivering the service can't tell
that anything was switched out......they simply see the flow of internet data as
one overall feed....(all be it that now that one over-all feed is slower ...... since the copper wire DSL was switched OFF from  the bridged pair.....)

any advice?

V

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:54:01 PM by cast-fish »

Offline andyj

Re: off topic "win32" networking
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 06:44:51 PM »
That sounds more like trunking/load balancing. It's fine for many clients going through the trunk because you would generally round robin the connections, but it sounds like what you want to do is to have one computer balance one connection over two paths with different addresses. I don't see this working on any system since TCP is a one-to-one protocol. The other end would have to be clever enough to know that you have two connections connecting from two different addresses and then balance the streams from the server end over the two connections. I don't see that happening. You'll need to do the balancing yourself. Stream on one, surf on the other, or something like that.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 04:40:46 AM »
Oh andy....

the rudimentary's i read some place on google did indeed say that my notion of a higher speed
as one of the primary goals that "bridging" achieves.

still, i completely relate to your comments Andy.

Vin  (will perhaps look into it a little) 

thx

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 06:27:49 AM »
I think you are referring to bonding, not bridging.