WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: sce-load questions...  (Read 2183 times)

Offline nitram

sce-load questions...
« on: December 20, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
1)
sce-load no options brings up select menu - good

sce-load <extension> loads extension directly - good

Possible to manually load multiple at once, or not yet supported?

sce-load <extension1> <extension2>

2)
wiki: sce-load -b is used for loading extensions at boot-time

Nothing appears to happen when using this option manually to load extension,
such as adding the extension name to sceboot.lst.

Is this, therefore, just used by dCore internally?
...or no longer supported?

Offline nitram

Re: sce-load questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 02:01:56 PM »
Regarding sce-load -b, reviewed script, still supported, just don't fully understand. Thanks.

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »
1) I see two ways for achieving this. You may combine them into a single extension based on the cumulative list of packages. Other than that, I have some ondemand menu entries that do load several extensions.

I think it would be a good thing to be able to specify multiple extensions for sce-load. Hopefully script grand-master JasonW will speak a final word!

2) I must have mis-interpreted the role of the ''-b'' option for sce-load from reading the script while writing the article. AFAICT from re-reading it now, the option is used internally for loading extension listed in sceboot.lst at boot-time.

Unless anybody corrects me, I shall correct the statement in the wiki. Thanks for your accurate proof-reading, nitram!

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 02:13:47 PM »
Just re-read the article in the wiki. It correctly states: "sce-load -b is used for loading extensions at boot-time and will suppress output other than an OK-message."

I now added "internally" to make it more clear.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
Saw this thread and reviewed sce-load.  It was meant to load multiple SCEs at once 'sce-load sce1 sce2...' but it needed fixing.

Fixed and uploaded to release candidates, along with --help info improvements of various scripts provided by nitram.

Offline nitram

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »
Thanks for clarifying sm8ps, will ensure  sce-load --help  indicates the -b option is for internal use only.

Thanks for making the changes Jason, look forward to testing.

Offline nitram

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 02:30:47 PM »
Revived. Created personal extension, loaded, wanted to modify. So re-created the extension with same name *.sce. Attempted to load, output indicates extension already loaded. Used to this, basically need to reboot then re-load extension. BUT sce-load provides the -f option, which apparently means 'overwrite existing file system tree files'. So obviously i don't fully understand what this means, as attempting to re-load an already loaded extension using the  -f  option resulted in the same 'already loaded!' output. Enlightenment appreciated, thanks.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 03:47:59 PM »
-f is basically deprecated.  There should be no file conflicts between packages.  Whatever overwriting or other changes should be done by the startup script.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 05:31:59 PM »
And any two SCE should always have a different name if they are planning to be loaded at the same time, though I see your point of that was in reference to the -f option.

Offline nitram

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »
Yes i could have renamed the extension when creating second test *.sce without having to reboot, but really also wanted to test the  -f  option. Okay if i remove the  -f  option from future  sce-load --help  revision, as it is deprecated and appears to have no real function for average user?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:52:47 PM »
The -f option is a remnant of the very early days of the concept of dCore.  For the average user, no use.  With my understanding, there are no file conflicts among Debian/Ubuntu packages of the same release, ie Jessie or Trusty.  Apt may provide this to allow installing packages from different releases.  So yes, for dCore can be removed.  If we keep it in, we need to support, and no reason to keep or support.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:54:41 PM by Jason W »