WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Check onboot unneeded  (Read 5495 times)

Offline emninger

Check onboot unneeded
« on: November 19, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »
Since my netbook is really coming up slowly, i'd like to "slim" the boot/startup. Therefore i did in APPS a check fo onboot unneeded. And i got a long list of extensions. But i'm a bit scared, because not all seems really logical to me and i'm in fear to shoot down what i built up to now.

For example:

Code: [Select]
claws-mail.tcz not needed a dep of claws-mail-locale.tcz
Does that mean, i should NOT put onboot claws-mail-locale.tcz? Not necessarily, but in my case yes, since i'm not using the default english.

And, if i'm taking away an extension from onboot, does that mean it still remains there to be pulled in (from ondemand, i presume) when needed?

Offline Misalf

Re: Check onboot unneeded
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
- How long does your netbook need to boot Tiny Core?
- What do you have in your /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/onboot.lst?

Since you are using the lang= boot code, any *.locale.tcz extension will be loaded automatically if present. This has nothing to do with OnDemand. However, adding stuff to the ondemand list (AND removing them from the onboot list) will certainly speed up boot time.

I doubt you will notice any difference in boot time by removing a few unneeded entries in onboot.lst.
If you would have hundred of entries and a very slow boot device than it might make sense to remove duplicates because tce-load would not need to be bothered trying to load something already loaded.
"Apps -> Maintenance -> Check Onboot Unneeded" just checks exactly that - if something listed to be loaded will be loaded anyway since it's a dependency of some other extension.

- How big is you backup file (/etc/sysconfig/tcedir/mydata.tgz)?
I'd suggest you clean up you backup file; get an understanding of what you want to backup and only backup exactly that. You keep reporting issues that seem to come from backing up more than you need.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline emninger

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 04:49:30 AM »
I'd suggest you clean up you backup file; get an understanding of what you want to backup and only backup exactly that. You keep reporting issues that seem to come from backing up more than you need.

That sounds very reasonable. I'll have to work on it, the understanding i mean ... ;) As for the boot time, next time i'll check the watch.

PS. Backup file is 530MB.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:51:12 AM by emninger »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 06:23:34 AM »
Show the output of 'showbootcodes' and show contents of /opt/.filetool.lst
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:40:39 AM by gerald_clark »

Offline Misalf

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 07:50:43 AM »
O.o

Mine is 3.5 MB which I already consider big.

Offline emninger

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 05:00:38 PM »
O.o

Boot time(s):
about 55 seconds extensions, 80 seconds restoring from backup.

Showbootcodes:
initrd=/tce/boot/core.gz quiet lang=de_DE kmap=de waitusb=10:UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" tce=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" restore=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" home=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" opt=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" local=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" tz=CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3 blacklist=b43,ssb,bcma bkg=beudanne.jpg desktop=fluxbox noautologin BOOT_IMAGE=/tce/boot/vmlinuz

/opt/.filetool.lst
opt/.filetool.lst
opt/eth0.sh
home/tc/
etc/
usr/local/etc/
usr/local/share/X11
usr/local/etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf
usr/local/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/usb-autosuspend.conf

/opt/.xfiletool.lst
Cache
cache
.cache
XUL.mfasl
XPC.mfasl
mnt
.adobe/Flash_Player/AssetCache
.macromedia/Flash_Player
.opera/opcache
.opera/cache4
.Xauthority
.wmx
etc/fltk/
etc/modprobe.d/
etc/pcmcia/
etc/profile.d/
etc/skel/
etc/sysconfig/
etc/init.d
etc/udev/

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
Hi emninger
opt/.filetool.lst   
opt/eth0.sh
home/tc/
Not needed, your  /opt  and  /home  directories are persistent. I wouldn't be surprised if this accounts for the bulk
of your backup.

etc/Gerald_clark already told you that you should not backup up this directory. If you need  passwd, shadow, or other
files backed up, list them.

usr/local/etc/
usr/local/share/X11
usr/local/etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf
usr/local/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/usb-autosuspend.conf
Don't backup  usr/local/etc, only any files you modified in there. Why are you backing up  usr/local/share/X11?

I feel like I'm repeating myself.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 08:32:29 PM »
O.o

I try real hard to keep my backup to only a few KB :p

Showbootcodes:
initrd=/tce/boot/core.gz quiet lang=de_DE kmap=de waitusb=10:UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" tce=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" restore=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" home=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" opt=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" local=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f" tz=CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3 blacklist=b43,ssb,bcma bkg=beudanne.jpg desktop=fluxbox noautologin BOOT_IMAGE=/tce/boot/vmlinuz
AIUI  the sole purpose of using "restore=" bootcode is to locate the backup to a different location than the default.  Yet, the location you've specified here is the same as the default!! making the bootcode redundant and inefficient.

Specking of redundant and inefficient,  am not sure if "local=" bootcode is valid, I have a suspicion it may not be recognized at all.??  but I could be wrong on that, didn't I mention that before..? 

Also, if you load fluxbox from the traditional onboot.lst then "desktop=fluxbox" bootcode can (should) also be discarded
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:36:38 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline emninger

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 11:39:16 PM »
Thanks! Yes you mentioned your doubt respect "local=" It should define the keyboard on the console (not the terminal) correct? If so, it does not: On the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) i still have the english (qwerty) keyboard.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 03:16:42 AM »
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:boot_options
tinycore local={hda1:sda1:tcvd} Specify PPI directory or loopback file. This option is not available with 4.0 or newer

Offline emninger

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 03:53:42 AM »
tinycore local={hda1:sda1:tcvd} Specify PPI directory or loopback file. This option is not available with 4.0 or newer

Yes, i know. But the last time i canceled that statement, on the next boot i was "naked", many of my personal settings were gone. And since i had no idea, how to get them back -  >:( :'( - i had to re-install all from the ground. I've fear of the next experiment ... ;)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 04:03:37 AM »
My personal believe is that breaking things - and observing why they broke in order to be able to fix them - is better than living with something partially working.

You can have several installs of Core by specifying the tce directory via boot code. You can simply copy your tce dir and mess with this so you can always go back to your current install.

Offline emninger

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
My personal believe is that breaking things - and observing why they broke in order to be able to fix them - is better than living with something partially working.

That's for sure. But, please, gently accept, i'm a totally newbie with tcl :) I've a vague idea about it and an intuition it might be a nice tool for small (in all terms) devices, But i still have to learn about anything about it.

You can have several installs of Core by specifying the tce directory via boot code. You can simply copy your tce dir and mess with this so you can always go back to your current install.

Could/would you explain this a little bit more in detail?

PS. For the moment, my main machine - running like a truck (slackware on a samsung ultrabook) is fa away. I only have this netbook - and a partly configured very old hp laptop running alpine linux, so, i'm a bit careful  ... ;)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »
You are using:
tce=UUID="3b305a3c-d95b-4f80-b1fa-b7baaf7db06f"
This will result in the directory  /tce , from the partition with the given UUID, to be used as Core's main directory (where the backup and extensions are stored etc.) since  /tce  is the default.

However, you can specify an alternate tce directory
tce=UUID="01234567-89ab-cdef-0123-456789abcdef"/tce-test

I like to learn by braking things. Core is very forgiving in this regard by providing features like this where breakage is not connected to fear of loosing stuff.

Offline emninger

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 10:57:56 PM »

I did (left away the local={hda1:sda1:tcvd} and the desktop=fluxbox settings - and on the next reboot i lost all my configured datas in /home/tc/.fluxbox/ as well as many configurations i did in  (but not in the main directory) in .Xresources. Also, the noautologin was not respected - although it was still in the bootcode. May be because there were not anymore passwd and passwd- ? The background.jpg was the tinycore default one, not mine, although already configured in bootcode. Looking systematically at what was missing, i'd say: Any "personalization" of the (fluxbox) desktop. Fluxbox came up, but in the default tinycore skin ...

My .Xresources:
!~/.Xdefault: Control the behavior of x-clients
!

! Xcursor theme: ~/.icons
!
Xcursor.theme: SharpDot

! Xfont settings ------------------------------------------------------------
!
Xft.autohint: 0
Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault
Xft.hintstyle:  hintslight
Xft.hinting: 1
Xft.antialias: 1
Xft.rgba: rgb

! aTerm settings ------------------------------------------------------------
!
! double-click to select whole URLs :D
aterm*charClass: 33:48,36-47:48,58-59:48,61:48,63-64:48,95:48,126:48
!
aterm*loginShell:true
aterm*transparent:true
aterm*shading:60
aterm*background:Black
aterm*foreground:White
aterm*cursorColor: green
aterm*utf8: always
aterm*utf8Fonts: always
aterm*utf8Title: true
aterm*scrollBar:true
aterm*scrollBar_right:true
aterm*transpscrollbar:true
aterm*saveLines:4096
aterm*font:*-*-fixed-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
aterm*boldFont:*-*-fixed-bold-r-normal--*-*-140-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
aterm*selectToClipboard: true

fltk*scheme: gtk+

! xpdf -----------------------------------------------------------------------

xpdf*enableFreetype:    yes
xpdf*antialias:         yes
xpdf*foreground:        black
xpdf*background:        white
xpdf*urlCommand:        /usr/bin/firefox %s

I had luck, since i'd done a safe backup before so i could restore the setup before.

Would it be safe to copy a "mydata.tgz" to let's say "mydatadefault.tgz" to have at least a secure fallback - at least as long as i'm playing around with the bootcode settings?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 11:11:16 PM by emninger »