WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: firmware-openfwwf.tcz 5.2 issue  (Read 3592 times)

Offline yacc

firmware-openfwwf.tcz 5.2 issue
« on: November 14, 2015, 10:47:44 PM »
Hello
I'm very new in TinyCore.
I've installed CorePlus 6.4.1 with wifi extensions on a old laptop (HP Pavilion ze4900). This laptop is equipped with a Broadcom 4306 Wlan card.
At boot time I got the messages :

b43-phy0: Broadcom 4306 WLAN found (core revision 5)
b43-phy0: Found PHY: Analog 2, Type 2 (G), Revision 2
b43-phy0 warning: 5 GHz band is unsupported on this PHY
b43 ssb0:0: Direct firmware load failed with error -2
b43 ssb0:0: Falling back to user helper
b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/pcm5.fw" request failed (err=-12)
b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode5.fw" request failed (err=-12)
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.

Looking at the /usr/local/lib/firmware directory which contains all the loaded firmware, it turned out that indeed no pcm5.fw file existed in the b43 subdirectory, and that no b43-open subdirectory was existing.
The required b43-open/ucode5.fw file existed insead in b43 subdirectory.

My understanding is that the problem comes from the loaded TC extension  firmware-openfwwf.tcz .
Looking at it from the Apps application, it shows that it loads only 3 files in the /usr/local/lib/firmware/b43 subdirectory, and does not create and populate a (..)/b43-open subdirectory

To verify this analysis and to progress in the installation, I've built a new extension, based on information provided in http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43/
To build the tcz file, I've have taken as an example the code in firefox-getlatest.sh loaded with TC extension firefox-getlatest.tcz (which is also bugged, but this is another issue)
I've extracted the four required files (b0g0bsinitvals5.fw, b0g0initvals5.fw, pcm5.fw and ucode5.fw) from
version 5.100.138 of Broadcom's proprietary driver.
The built tcz loads the four files in (..)/b43  subdir. Actually, after some tests, no b43-open subdir
needs to be created. I understand that the system, when searching firmware, looks automatically in b43-open if it does not find files in b43 subdir.

Loading my home-made extension instead of the official one, I've been able to start the Wifi (allowing me to send this post).
Attached are the two created files (.tcz and .tcz.md5.txt)(note that no COPYING or LICENCE are included, no such files being available in the original Broadcom proprietary driver)

Best regards

------- Moderated --------
Extensions removed.  Private extensions are not allowed on the forum.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:08:15 AM by gerald_clark »

Offline coreplayer2

Re: firmware-openfwwf.tcz 5.2 issue
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 12:55:17 AM »
To build the tcz file, I've have taken as an example the code in firefox-getlatest.sh loaded with TC extension firefox-getlatest.tcz (which is also bugged, but this is another issue)
Since Mozilla made some changes to their download server structure the extension stop working as desired, however this was fixed almost two weeks ago and we are waiting for the submission process to complete.  meanwhile I've sent you a pm with a link to the latest fixed version.

As for the firmware extension, you are welcome to submit the extension through the normal channels which you'll find in the wiki

thanks 

Offline yacc

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 01:39:50 AM »
OK,
I look at the Wiki and submit it
Thank you

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:00:13 AM »
As explained in my pm, the extension maintainer is JasonW so please ask him first.  Sorry if I misled you.

Also does the latest firefox-getLatest extension fix your issue?

Offline yacc

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:38:01 AM »
Hello,
OK I'll contact JasonW

For the firefox-getlatest.tcz, your upgrade seems to have solved the issue . Works great.
Thank you