WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Networkless installation of packages? Data persistence?  (Read 1513 times)

Offline securitynut

Networkless installation of packages? Data persistence?
« on: November 12, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
Just discovered Tiny Core and I'm attempting to play around with Core/CorePlus 6.4.1 in a networkless, VirtualBox environment.  I'm rather surprised to see no SSL/TLS support out-of-the-box - I guess no one cares about MITM.  So my question is, can I "sneakernet" OpenSSL into a TinyCore VirtualBox setup that intentionally has networking support disabled?  If so, how do I go about doing that?  I'm thinking that since I can mount ISO files, I could create an ISO file with whatever I need in it and then mount it like I would any other ISO file, or burn a CD - either way works for me.  So the question is more "where, as in URLs, do I go to get what I need from a network-connected machine?"

Also, how do I get files I create in my home directory to persist across reboots?  I ran the installer in CorePlus but the files I create in /home/tc/ aren't persisting across reboots.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Networkless installation of packages? Data persistence?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
As packages can have many dependencies, it would be easiest to install them on a networked install/VM, and then copy the entire tce directory (or the entire HD file). OpenSSL is rather huge, and not needed for many purposes, and so it's not installed by default.

Why would you need SSL in a networkless VM, though?

For persistence, please read the Core book.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »
Hi securitynut
Tinycore is different from most distros and based on your questions I strongly recommend you read:
http://tinycorelinux.net/corebook.pdf
There's also a FAQ and a Wiki available.
Extensions reside in the  tce/optional  directory and get loaded if they are listed in the  tce/onboot.lst  file. They should
be installed using the  Apps  utility since it will resolve dependencies. Extensions are located here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86/tcz/
There two way to get changes made to your home directory to persist. Use the  Exit  icon and run a backup or set up
a persistent home.

Offline securitynut

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
As packages can have many dependencies, it would be easiest to install them on a networked install/VM, and then copy the entire tce directory (or the entire HD file). OpenSSL is rather huge, and not needed for many purposes, and so it's not installed by default.

With OpenSSL comes certificate creation and signing tools, which is what I'm really after.  I can't do the whole HD file since the main VM needs to be built in isolation from a network.  Audited components can be airgapped across.  A second network-connected VM where I load tce and then tgz, sha1sum the tgz file, somehow get it out of the second VM (install lighttpd or similar), and move it over via an ISO to the networkless environment might work.  Then I only have to audit one file for the target, which would be rather nice.

For persistence, please read the Core book.

Oh.  I see it now.  I was looking for a "Getting Started" guide but couldn't find it so I was bumbling my way about.  The Core book works.  Thanks.  Got data persistence working now.