WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Swap Func & media keys  (Read 8920 times)

Offline Scampada

Swap Func & media keys
« on: November 04, 2015, 08:54:34 AM »
Strange, the "Search" page doesn't work, and Google didn't find relevant hits containing both "tiny core" and "remap function keys console".
I want to swap my function keys with media keys like this:

0 = disabled : Disable the 'fn' key. Pressing 'fn'+'F8' will behave like you only press 'F8'
1 = fkeyslast : Function keys are used as last key. Pressing 'F8' key will act as a special key. Pressing 'fn'+'F8' will behave like a F8.
2 = fkeysfirst : Function keys are used as first key. Pressing 'F8' key will behave like a F8. Pressing 'fn'+'F8' will act as special key (play/pause).

I have to press Fn+F10 to press F5 and I want to do it without Fn. If I would want to press a 'Disable touchpad' media button, I would make use of Fn, I do that less frequently.
Common Linux advices I have read do say the following:

Use showkey to get the button codes like 1, 58 etc... but showkey shows something like <ESC>, <CTL-I=30> etc. I had to build it from source 'cause couldn't find it thru tce-ab.
Is there any closer to TC way to do that?
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Tiny Core Linux. Like Gentoo, except Gentoo is easier.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Swap Func & media keys
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:07:23 AM »
That sounds like something built into the processor of a non-standard keyboard.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 10:35:09 AM »
You mean this is a module's job? Not the kmap's?
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Tiny Core Linux. Like Gentoo, except Gentoo is easier.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 12:36:21 PM »
Yes. The fn keys are either handled in hardware by the keyboard, or by a device-specific module, to which you can then pass a param like in your quote.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.