WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC 6+ and Mono  (Read 5144 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: TC 6+ and Mono
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »
Hi nim108
The error you ran into appears in a file riddled with conditional compilation statements to accommodate various processor
types, operating systems, whether you're cross compiling, etc. My guess is that it didn't like something in the compiler
flags you exported or how you ran the  ,./configure  command. My recommendation is you try it using the build script as
is to make sure it compiles for you prior to applying any customizations you may need.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »
Vesa should support software OpenGL rendering.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nim108

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 01:48:45 PM »
Hi nim108
The error you ran into appears in a file riddled with conditional compilation statements to accommodate various processor
types, operating systems, whether you're cross compiling, etc. My guess is that it didn't like something in the compiler
flags you exported or how you ran the  ,./configure  command. My recommendation is you try it using the build script as
is to make sure it compiles for you prior to applying any customizations you may need.
I see ... I guess this can be considered a cross compile as I am doing it inside a Docker environment. My host is 64 bit Mint. I'm guessing you are testing natively in a TC dev environment? Anyway I will try again first thing tomorrow morning as I am away from my PC today. I appreciate you trying to compile it yourself to check.

curaga, thanks, if that's truly the case, then we can pursue that path. We are targetting a EG20T platform (Atom E680 series) which uses the IntelĀ® Embedded Media and Graphics Driver and which has not been updated in any recent kernel in ages. I can give you a list of the exact Xorg related extensions we are loading on Monday when I get back to work. When these same extensions are loaded in TC7 or TC8, it fails to load any graphics environment.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
Hi nim108
I see ... I guess this can be considered a cross compile as I am doing it inside a Docker environment. My host is 64 bit Mint.
I'm not so sure the  Docker environment  would affect it. Is the target you are compiling for 32 or 64 bit?

Offline nim108

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 07:44:58 PM »
Hi nim108
I see ... I guess this can be considered a cross compile as I am doing it inside a Docker environment. My host is 64 bit Mint.
I'm not so sure the  Docker environment  would affect it. Is the target you are compiling for 32 or 64 bit?
It's a 32 bit platform we are targeting. I'm not sure why it's failing either, even the latest Qt compiles in it just fine. Will test it tomorrow.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 11:30:46 PM »
First off, I know there is an extension in the TC 8.x repo but we cannot use TC8 because it breaks intel graphics on older platforms (same goes for TC7). TC6 runs Xorg correctly on our hardware, albeit in software rendering mode.

Can you use xf86-video-intel-i810 in tc-7.x?

Offline nim108

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
Rich, success, it compiles natively in a TC6 VM of mine. Thanks, I don't think Docker works because Mono relies on CMake internally, and when it polls for architecture and hardware, it's probably returning my host architecture (x86_64 running a new 4.x kernel) which screws up the whole build.

Would be nice to get TC8 working on this ancient hardware. To keep it short, the Xorg extension crashes on the target architecture and does not boot up (will post an error log of this tomorrow). The default TC8 Xvesa works fine but don't think that supports OpenGL. curaga, I think you are referring to using the xf86-video-vesa extension ... that works fine in TC6 but since TC8 can't even load Xorg, it doesn't work there. I believe only older kernels will work w/ graphics on this E680 Atom architecture. I will do more testing tomorrow, stay tuned.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 12:18:17 PM »
Hi nim108
I think compiling for x86 on an x86_64 platform still counts as cross compiling and probably requires additional flags on the
command line. Moving the task to a VM sounds like it saved you some aggravation.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:53:56 AM by Rich »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 10:35:41 AM »
@Juanito: It's one of the PowerVR chips, not an Intel one. So no open drivers.

I was referring to xf86-video-vesa yeah.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.