WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore 6+ VirtualBox Bridged Adapter - Expose to network  (Read 4194 times)

Offline ryios

TinyCore 6+ VirtualBox Bridged Adapter - Expose to network
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:29:14 AM »
I have installed TinyCore on a Virtual Machine in Oracle VirtualBox.  What I want to do is be able to ping the linux box from other machines on the network.

Host IP: 192.168.1.99
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

TinyCore IP: 192.168.1.150
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Both the Host and the Guest can ping the route (192.168.1.1), however the Guest (150) cannot ping the host (99) or vice versa.

I am using Bridged Network mode in VirtualBox with (Allow All) on Promiscuous Mode.

The host name of the TinyCore box is TCEDev1.  In my router (netgear) NAT is Open and I have set TCEDEV1 (guest) and the host(GAME01) as reserved IP addresses so DHCP gives them those addresses everytime as if they were static.

HOST OS: Windows 10? (maybe this is a problem....)  I have completely disabled the windows 10 firewall.

In tinyCore I have installed IPTables and completely opened the firewall for everything and ICMP echo-request..

Really starting to think it's windows 10/Virtual Box.

I'm going to install windows 7 on a spare laptop and try on there.  Because I tried multiple Linux Distro's, openSuse, TinyCore, debian, ubuntu... I can't get it opened up for internet access or pings on any of them running in VBox on Windows 10.

I also tested multiple machines, all running the same version of virtual box.  3 Machines, no dice.  But all 3 Machines are running Windows 10....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:00:20 AM by ryios »

Offline ryios

Re: TinyCore 6+ VirtualBox Bridged Adapter - Expose to network
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »
Update 2:

Windows 10 has HyperV support, so I installed HyperV and setup a TinyCore VM in HyperV, and it works perfectly,  so this is definitely a problem with VirtualBox in Bridged Networking mode on Windows 10.

Guess I'll put some scenarios together, and make a post on the VirtualBox issue tracker.

Offline ryios

Re: TinyCore 6+ VirtualBox Bridged Adapter - Expose to network
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
Update 3:
Hyper V creates a Race Condition with the TinyCore Desktop.  Sometimes the desktop loads and sometimesit doesn't.  And when it does load, HyperV readjust the screen and turns the entire GUI into unreadable garbage.

As such I have switched to VMWare Player, which is working and is free for non commercial use.  So for now it seems VMWare Player is the only option on Windows 10 till they fix bridged promiscous (All) in VritualBox.