WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: saving views and starting applications  (Read 3076 times)

Offline steptoesyard

saving views and starting applications
« on: October 16, 2015, 02:08:15 AM »
Hi, ive got tiny core installed and working on a couple of thin clients now after some trial and error.

I've now installed it on another client that i want to use as a radio and web browser, but there are a couple of things that i cant seem to achieve.They are starting an application (firefox) on boot and remembering application view settings.

What i want to do is boot the machine and automatically start firefox in full screen mode. One of the homepage tabs is set to listenlive.eu - when i click on an online radio link it starts playing using VLC but this always pops up over firefox.

I alter the view settings and it works for one session, but doesnt preserve these across reboots. Could you give me some idea of what i need to include in the backup list to achieve this?

Thanks!

Offline steptoesyard

Re: saving views and starting applications
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 05:26:44 AM »
anyone?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 05:57:33 AM »
In order to see which files changed when you alter the view settings, you could so something like this:
Code: [Select]
$ tce-load -i findutils
$ touch mymarker
[alter settings]
$ find / -not -type 'd' -cnewer mymarker | grep -v "\/proc\/" | grep -v "^\/sys\/" | tee files
$ vi files

Offline nitram

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 05:58:28 AM »
starting an application (firefox) on boot
Add firefox.tcz to /tce/onboot.lst then create a plain text non-executable file in /home/tc/.X.d/ with a firefox entry.
For example, mine is called /home/tc/.X.d/startups and this startups file includes:
conky &
firefox &

remembering application view settings
Believe that's application specific. Ensure you have a persistent /home/tc directory then Firefox should remember window size settings. Not sure, probably stored somewhere in /home/tc/.mozilla.

start firefox in full screen mode
If you exit Firefox maximized it will restart maximized, not sure about full screen. Just need to research, as these old links suggest it's possible using either a simple startup script or custom Firefox userchrome entry. Don't think Firefox has a dedicated CLI option for this. Regardless, it's a Firefox issue not Tiny Core, maybe check Mozilla forum.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1868577
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2347151

I alter the view settings and it works for one session, but doesnt preserve these across reboots. Could you give me some idea of what i need to include in the backup list to achieve this?
It doesn't sound like you have set up a persistent /home/tc directory, otherwise these types of settings should be preserved across reboots. Check the wiki or read the Tiny Core book. If you review /opt/.filetool.lst you'll see that home and opt directories are automatically backed up, provided you've set up a persistent system.

Offline steptoesyard

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 02:31:11 AM »
thanks for replies.
Applications are now starting after creating script as described.
I do have persistant home so i guess like suggested that it is a firefox issue. I hadnt tried maximized and window mode. Firefox will remember which of these two modes was last used - when i exit from either of them it will restart in the same mode so i guess its full screen specific.
Will google for a switch to start it in full screen, or see if there is an addon to accomplish the same.

Thanks again!

Offline Zendrael

• Zendrael's home of projects
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 12:26:31 PM »
Hi

The Book teaches how to do an Add-on that puts the browser in fullscreen (and also shows a clock).