WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: safe to rm: *.tcz.md5.txt  (Read 1786 times)

Offline ttz

safe to rm: *.tcz.md5.txt
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:33:54 PM »
Code: [Select]
>ls optional/ | grep pkg
pkg-config.tcz
pkg-config.tcz.md5.txt

for any app, is it safe to remove md5.txt?

optional/additional:
why is it there?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: safe to rm: *.tcz.md5.txt
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:56:39 PM »
md5 files used to check integrity of related extensions and also by update utilities. However they are not needed to run TC and can be regenerated if needed.

Do not delete them.

Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline ttz

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:02:30 PM »
got it.

thank you,
ttz

Offline ttz

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:07:41 PM »
Today, I clicked on: "Show unread posts since last visit."

I found: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,17879.15.html

There I found: "Consider deleting the 'firefox-official.tcz.md5.txt' file to prevent Apps > Update from downgrading to an older version when you next run Apps > Update"

Hugh? Lady Luck has left me; I barely even know what to ask. Delete *.tcx.md5.txt or not? Or maybe I should ask what the risk/cost of doing it?

Was the answer, "Do not delete them" geared to the newbie?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 10:54:13 PM »
Hi

Know that deleting any md5.txt files will prevent APPS update from doing it's job of checking for.., well an extension update!  So that may not be advisable. 

There I found: "Consider deleting the 'firefox-official.tcz.md5.txt' file to prevent Apps > Update from downgrading to an older version when you next run Apps > Update"
this was somewhat obscure in that anyone installing firefox-official.tcz extension using the Firefox latest script may find an update when running APPS Update because the repo version's md5 checksum would be different from their local version.   In any case this issue has been resolved as there are no longer any firefox-official.tcz extensions and the extension names have all been modified.  Sorry this confused the situation

Normally you should not delete any extension.md5.txt files, they are used for checking extension integrity and for checking availability of updates.     Removing specific md5.txt files helps extension maintainers from inadvertently overwriting their modified local copy with a version from the repo should they run APPS Update.

clear as mud now?

:)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »
Plus, if an additional app, f.e. foobar.tcz, is going to be installed and the *.md5.txt file of an already installed dependency doesn't exist, foobar.tcz will fail to download and install, because dependencies are checked first, then foobar.tcz. So, *.md5.txt files are used for the handling of installed extensions in general, not just updates.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline ttz

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »
clear as mud now?

Insightful, beautiful - correct. At least, I have a base now! It will take time to sink in.

Side note:
From my current position/point of view, I just would not update anything; would not update firefox. I'd just run firefox-latest again. Just throwing out immediate thought, whatever it is worth.

Thanks to Misalf and coreplayer2 for additional replies,
ttz