WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: QtWeb submit query....  (Read 2049 times)

Offline nitram

QtWeb submit query....
« on: October 03, 2015, 03:19:01 AM »
QtWeb Internet Browser v3.8.5 works well in TC 6 x86. It's GPL and may submit. The website provides a binary, no compiling:
http://www.qtweb.net/download.html

Problem is how it handles settings and cache:
Software should create subfolders QtWebCache and QtWebSettings at the same directory where QtWeb.exe is located, and QtWeb stores all caches and settings there.
http://qtweb.net/KB/temp_files_cookies.html

Placing QtWeb executable into usual /usr/local/bin, therefore, works for browser but can't write or make persistent QtWebCache and QtWebSettings directories.

Single user persistence would be easy, just run executable from /home/tc or .local/bin, settings and cache directories automagically created.

Tried linking the executable from /home/tc, didn't work to set up settings and cache directories.

As an extension, can't place qtweb.tcz's executable into /home or /opt as it will affect TC backup size.

Query:
Any way to set this up so QtWebCache and QtWebSettings can be created and persistent?

Aside: Posting from latest Dillo v3.0.5, will submit to x86 repo in the next while. This FLTK browser will be right at home in TC.

Offline nitram

Re: QtWeb submit query....
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 03:39:30 AM »
Nevermind problem solved. Even stumped Barry Kauler, Puppy Linux creator!
Thanks to BarryK and jamesbond.

It works! Will note the *.exe issue in the .info file so users don't mistake it for a Windows virus :)

Posted on 19 Jul 2013, 22:21 by BarryK
QtWeb as spot?
Has anybody managed to get QtWeb running properly as user spot?

I don't mean just get it to run, that is easy.

I can't get it to save it's config setting into /root/spot, it saves them in /tmp.

I tried to save a web page inside /root/spot, it gave an error.

Posted on 19 Jul 2013, 22:35 by BarryK
Re QtWeb as spot
Well, I solved the saving problem.

I had /root/spot/Downloads set as the download directory, owner:group = spot:spot and permissions 755.
I changed it to 775, that is gave group write permission, and the web page saved.

But, the config setting still eluded me.
Hmmm, could copy the config file to /tmp before starting QtWeb, then copy it out after QtWeb has quit, to save it permanently. A hack solution though.

Posted on 20 Jul 2013, 13:39 by jamesbond
Making QtWeb store its settings in $HOME
Barry,

Create a blank file "unins000.exe" in either the root directory (/) or in where QtWeb is located. If you do this, then the config will be stored properly in $HOME directory (/root/spot in case of spot).

PS: The code that checks for this is supposed to detect where QtWeb is located - if you put it in /usr/bin/QtWeb then you should create the file in /usr/bin/unins000.exe but for my case apparently it always fails the check so the ugly unins000.exe has to be created at root: /unins000.exe

Get the source tarball and look at browserapplication.cpp - look at "definePortableRunMode" method (ah, the joy of open source!). If you're willing to rebuild QtWeb from source, then just edit this method so that s_portableRunMode is always set as 'false'.

Posted on 20 Jul 2013, 18:03 by BarryK
Re QtWeb as spot
jamesbond,
Thanks so much for that info!

Very interesting, unins000.exe at / did not work for me, made no difference, but at /usr/bin it works!

Right, now I'll finish off the mechanism for offering to run QtWeb as spot, and will modify the QtWeb pinstall.sh in the PET to create unins000.exe.
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00319

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 06:27:45 AM »
That's totally weird for a program that runs on Linux. O.o

Played with it a bit. Seems quite responsive and less RAM demanding than f.e. Firefox.

Anyway, for an extension, I'd recommend to store the QtWeb executable at
 /usr/local/share/QtWeb/QtWeb
together with  unins000.exe  ("touch unins000.exe" works fine; no real exe required)
and creating only a symlink to the QtWeb executable at
 /usr/local/bin/
so there are no *.exe files in the $PATH.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline nitram

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 08:01:17 AM »
Seems almost full-featured, even built-in user agent and AdBlock. Haven't spent enough time to find gotchas. Doesn't need any dependencies either. Will need to boot netbook later to check if it runs with Xvesa.

The full name is 'QtWeb Portable Web Browser', originally designed as a portable USB stick browser. All custom settings/cache could then be saved alongside the executable for portability. It's cross platform, probably originally coded for Windows, hence the .exe uninstall file to indicate it's actually *installed*.

Your method works, will set it up as you suggested. Looks like 644 permissions for the empty exe file works too. Thanks for your input.