Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

TinyCore as photo frame OS

(1/2) > >>

stasheck:
Hello,
First of all, I'm new here, so: hi!

I have a laptop that I'm converting to a photo frame - it's Sony VAIO Z600NE: PIII-650, 128 MB RAM and some ATI card (no 3D accel) with 1024x768 display. I already succeeded with booting it from 1 GB CF card; the ultimate here is to read .jpg from NFS server over a wifi connection and show them; all with minimal CPU usage (I aim for passive cooling).

I was quite certain that you don't actually need to start X to run graphics mode on Linux, but perhaps I was wrong - I can't find any image viewer that wouldn't need it.

Does anyone know a simple program which will only show a given picture? Or maybe start a slideshow from a given directory? Minimal resources, possibly no desktop environment.

Thanks in advance.

pioj:
There are indeed som available options to make a photo slideshow without X11, but it's up to you to choose the best one that fits your needs.

Most apps will require X11, though...

(i.ex; using DKMS or /dev/fb0 and fbvi works too).

nitram:

--- Quote from: stasheck on September 18, 2015, 12:24:49 PM ---I have a laptop that I'm converting to a photo frame - it's Sony VAIO Z600NE: PIII-650, 128 MB RAM and some ATI card (no 3D accel) with 1024x768 display. I already succeeded with booting it from 1 GB CF card; the ultimate here is to read .jpg from NFS server over a wifi connection and show them; all with minimal CPU usage (I aim for passive cooling).

I was quite certain that you don't actually need to start X to run graphics mode on Linux, but perhaps I was wrong - I can't find any image viewer that wouldn't need it.

Does anyone know a simple program which will only show a given picture? Or maybe start a slideshow from a given directory? Minimal resources, possibly no desktop environment.

Thanks in advance.

--- End quote ---

Hi, welcome.

Most Tiny Core users utilize Window Managers, not dedicated Desktop Environments. When you say X is not required, you are correct if you mean Xorg/X Window System. But...you still need something to display your pictures/graphics.

Depending on your hardware, try running Tiny Core with either Xvesa or framebuffer instead of Xorg (default Tiny Core is actually Xvesa i believe). They are both light weight but may/not give you the desired graphic resolution, tinkering will be necessary. Read about it in Chapter 28 (old hardware), ~ page 130 of the Tiny Core manual:
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

There's an extremely lightweight image viewer i occasionally use in the TC 6 repository named flpicsee.tcz. It apparently supports slideshow but i've never used it in this mode. All the best.

Misalf:
I'm using  fbv  to display images in framebuffer while booting. It doesn't have any dependencies.

It's available in the 4.x repo and works on 6.x too.
http://tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/tcz/fbv.tcz

It doesn't support that many file formats though.

Juanito:
fbv added to 6.x repo - thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version