WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: OSS.tcz failed to install  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Alatun

OSS.tcz failed to install
« on: September 17, 2015, 08:15:11 AM »
Just tried to install the OSS.tcz package. The install failed because the dependency OSS-modules-3.16.6-tinycore.tcz is not available.
I checked the 4.x repo directory and it contains "OSS-modules-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz".

I saw an alsa-modules-3.16.6-tinycore.tcz package. Has this package been renamed and you forgot to change the dep file?

edit: always have been confused about OSS and ALSA. Just remembered that these are two different sound architectures. Also just saw that alsa-modules is being used by alsa-config. So OSS-modules is probably missing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:30:38 AM by Alatun »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: OSS.tcz failed to install
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:42:34 AM »
If I remember correctly, this had been pointed out a while ago and we left it hoping somebody would volunteer to compile the oss modules.

I guess we're getting to the point where we might have to remove the oss extension...

Offline Alatun

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »
Just tried to use alsa instead.

When trying to start alsa with "alsasound start" it complains about a missing module "libasound_module_ctl_oss.so" and refuses to start. In TC4 this was provided by alsa-plugins, which is also missing in TC6. Did I miss something? Is there no working sound in TC6?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:12:05 AM »
Are you sure the oss extension isn't loaded - I don't see why it would try to load libasound_module_ctl_oss.so otherwise?

Note that with reasonably modern hardware, you just need to load the alsa extension, use alsamixer to un-mute the sound and things will work (no need for alsasound start).

Offline Misalf

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »
If that is not enough,  alsa-config.tcz  is needed in some cases.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline nitram

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 12:14:10 PM »
Just tried to use alsa instead...
Is there no working sound in TC6?
Alsa sound works well in TC 6. For me, i just add alsa-config to onboot.lst, which also brings in alsa, alsa-modules and libasound. Then open alsamixer in terminal and ensure all relevant volumes are unmuted (no MM) and turned up 50%. On my system i get no sound unless, of course, Master but also PCM is unmuted and turned up.

Offline Alatun

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 01:20:09 AM »
Thanks for your advice, guys. Forum search lead me to this (old) thread: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=9733.15 which refers to OSS. Because of the problems installing the OSS package I tried several tricks to force the installer to install this package, which lead to the alsa problems later.

I just wanted to test if the version of rdesktop works with sound redirection. But rdesktop only supports OSS.

Today I gave it a fresh start and simply installed "alsa-config".

With
Code: [Select]
modprobe snd-pcm1-oss

I got the the OSS compatible devices and sound output did work with rdesktops sound redirection!

Offline Misalf

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »
I wonder if  alsa-oss.tcz  could still makes sense. I personally don't need OSS compatibility though.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)